Friday, 5 May 2017

Countless by Karen Gregory

I received a digital copy of this book for free. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and NetGalley.
Countless
Blurb (from Goodreads):
'Is there anything that's concerning you?’ Felicity says. ‘College, home, boyfriends?' Though she's more or less smiling at this last one.

I don't smile. Instead, I feel my face go hot. Silence stretches as wide as an ocean.
When I look up, Felicity has this expression on her face like she's just seen Elvis. Slowly, she leans forward and in a gentle voice I've never heard her use before she says, 'Have you done a pregnancy test?'


When Hedda discovers she is pregnant, she doesn’t believe she could ever look after a baby. The numbers just don’t add up. She is young, and still in the grip of an eating disorder that controls every aspect of how she goes about her daily life. She’s even given her eating disorder a name – Nia. But as the days tick by, Hedda comes to a decision: she and Nia will call a truce, just until the baby is born. 17 weeks, 119 days, 357 meals. She can do it, if she takes it one day at a time …

Heartbreaking and hopeful by turns, Karen Gregory’s debut novel is a story of love, heartache and human resilience. And how the things that matter most can’t be counted. Perfect for fans of Lisa Williamson, Non Pratt and Sarah Crossan.


Countless by Karen Gregory

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Countless “So this is the deal I’m making: Nia and I call a truce. When the baby is safely here and I’ve found it some proper parents, then Nia can have me back. All I have to do is eat for seventeen weeks and then everything will be like it was before.”


This was a contemporary story about a girl with anorexia who discovered she was pregnant.

Hedda was really torn in this story, alternating between trying to care for her baby and trying to listen to what ‘Nia’ (her name for her eating disorder) wanted her to do, and I could easily see why she was in such a terrible situation.

The storyline in this was about Hedda finding out that she was pregnant, and trying to keep eating until her due date. She struggled with the decision of what to do with her baby once it arrived, and in fact most of the book was about what happened to Hedda after she had the baby, and the financial struggles as well as her struggles with her eating disorder. The story felt very real though, and it was sad to think of Hedda and the situation that she was stuck in, especially as she seemed to have little support from her family.

The ending to this was hopeful, and I felt like it was also a realistic ending.



6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment