Wednesday, 3 July 2013

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent


My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads)
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.


My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Kaylee has a secret, she knows when someone close by is going to die, and has this irrepressible urge to scream at the top of her lungs.
This wouldn’t usually be too much of a problem, but suddenly teen girls are dropping down dead for no obvious reason, and Kaylee knows that her aunt and uncle are keeping something secret from her – something about her and her life.
Who is killing these girls? Why does Kaylee feel the need to scream when someone is about to die? And what life-changing secret are her aunt and uncle hiding from her?


This was a great YA paranormal story and I have to say that I don’t think I’ve read anything quite like this before.

Kaylee was a strong lead character, and I liked the way that she stood up and took charge of the situation when it was needed. I felt really bad for her at first – imagine screaming at the top of your lungs and being unable to stop it! When I found out what Kaylee was really about though I was surprised – I can’t say that I’ve read any other books with this kind of paranormal ability, and it was quite a refreshing change.

I liked Nash (the love interest), although I didn’t love him. While I thought that Kaylee and Nash were cute together, and that they made a sweet couple, there wasn’t the kind of heart-beating-fast romance that you sometimes find in these sort of books.

I liked the storyline in this book and the little twists and turns and unpredictability. I totally didn’t guess what was going on, and I didn’t guess who was ultimately to blame either. I liked the mystery of who killed the girls, as well as the mystery of what Kaylee was really about. I can’t imagine where the next book will go from here but I’m really interested to find out!
Overall; a different kind of paranormal YA story.
8 out of 10.


4 comments:

  1. I was looking for another series to tackle this summer, and this one was high on my list, but I chose the Jessica Darling books instead. Maybe next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you liked it. I like how it sounds so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a little about this one and it sounds fascinating! Glad you liked it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I've been meaning to read this for ages and it sounds like the start to a worthwhile series.

    ReplyDelete