Wednesday, 3 July 2013

My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers 0.5) by Rachel Vincent


My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.

She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....


My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is the prequel novel to the ‘Soul Screamers’ series.
16-year-old Kaylee suffers from what she calls ‘panic attacks’, but these are not what everyone else would call panic attacks. Instead, these happen every time she comes around someone who is about to die. First her throat closes up, then she feels pressure in her chest, and if she doesn’t get away then, a painful scream rips out of her throat, and she can do nothing to stop it.

Whilst shopping for her prom it happens twice. The first time she manages to get away in time, the second time she’s not so lucky, and the scream rips out of her.

Now Kaylee’s being held in a mental health facility, and they won’t let her leave.
Is she schizophrenic though? Is she suffering from delusions and hallucinations? Or is something otherworldly going on?




I’ve had this book sat on my shelf for ages, and I finally decided to make time to read it. Yay!

I have to say that I loved Kaylee! I loved how she so adamantly claimed she wasn’t crazy, and even did the rational thing and took the drugs, even though she knew she didn’t need them. I also loved how funny she was – telling someone that she was in the institution because she didn’t speak, and telling one of the therapists that she was only there because the doors were locked! Loved that one! I really felt for her though. It would kill me to be locked up in an institution somewhere and have people telling me that I was crazy because of circumstances out of my control. How awful to also suddenly start screaming and not be able to stop too! Really awful, and so embarrassing!

I thought the storyline here was pretty unique. I’ve read books before where people know when people are going to die, but I’ve never come across something like this! I really liked this twist of Kaylee being forced to scream, and I’m really interested to find out what will happen to her in the rest of the series!

Overall; an enjoyable and unique start to what promises to be an awesome series!
7 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. So happy you are reading Soul Screamers. I need more reviews from my friends before I decide if I should read these books.

    ReplyDelete