Friday, 26 July 2013

Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols



Dirty Little Secret
Blurb (from Goodreads):
From the author of the “real page-turner” (Seventeen) Such a Rush comes an unforgettable new drama that follows friends-turned-lovers as they navigate the passions, heartbreaks, and intrigue of country music fame.

Bailey wasn’t always a wild child and the black sheep of her family. She used to play fiddle and tour the music circuit with her sister, Julie, who sang and played guitar. That ended when country music execs swooped in and signed Julie to a solo deal. Never mind that Julie and Bailey were a duet, or that Bailey was their songwriter. The music scouts wanted only Julie, and their parents were content to sit by and let her fulfill her dreams while Bailey’s were hushed away.

Bailey has tried to numb the pain and disappointment over what could have been. And as Julie’s debut album is set to hit the charts, her parents get fed up with Bailey’s antics and ship her off to granddad’s house in Nashville. Playing fiddle in washed-up tribute groups at the mall, Bailey meets Sam, a handsome and oh-so-persuasive guitarist with his own band. He knows Bailey’s fiddle playing is just the thing his band needs to break into the industry. But this life has broken Bailey’s heart once before. She isn’t sure she’s ready to let Sam take her there again…



Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Dirty Little Secret(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to MTV Books and Edelweiss.)
18-year-old Bailey is facing a summer of playing fiddle in stupid tribute bands who play around the mall, wearing hoop skirts and fending off a horny Elvis impersonator, although maybe that is better than not playing at all.
Bailey’s younger sister has just got a record deal, and because Bailey hasn’t got a record deal, and the label don’t want her to be an embarrassment to her sister, poor Bailey has been sent to live with her grandfather while her parents go on tour with her sister, and has been told to lay low!

Playing in the tribute bands at the mall allows her to meet Sam though, a boy who has big dreams, and big plans to match. His idea – get Bailey to join his band, and maybe get their own record deal, even if it means going against Bailey’s parent’s wishes.
Will Bailey go against her parent’s wishes and play in the band with Sam? Will Bailey ever be enough for Sam if she can’t get him the record deal he so desperately wants? And will Sam do and say anything to make his dreams reality?


This was a fun story, with a really sweet romance.

I really felt for Bailey in this story. She had basically been put down by everyone she had ever loved – her sister Julie who wasn’t even speaking to her, and her parents who kicked her to the curb as soon as a better deal came along. How Bailey wasn’t supposed to take this insult personally was quite beyond me, and had it been me I’d have done a lot more than cut my hair off, I would certainly not be phoning my sister every night still, and I really wouldn’t be observing my parent’s wishes and laying low. In my opinion Bailey had every right to be seriously hacked off, and I couldn’t believe that she was still doing what her parents wanted, and they were still trying to blackmail her into staying quiet or they wouldn’t pay her college tuition!

I really liked Sam, although I did think he was maybe a little too obsessed with his band, although maybe you have to be to make it big. Even though he told Bailey that he loved her, I couldn’t help but worry that it was all a con to get his band noticed, especially when it seemed he had tried the same tactic with the drummer in the band.

I liked the storyline in this book, and I was crossing my fingers and hoping all the way through that Bailey would kick butt and make something of herself, even if only to prove to her parents and her sister that she was worth something, and she shouldn’t be relegated to the side-lines. I liked the romance aspect of the storyline, but it didn’t overshadow the rest of the story, and I thought that the ending was pretty good too.
Overall; a fun music-inspired YA romance.
7 out of 10.


4 comments:

  1. How funny that I just read a negative review of this book. Supposedly the parents and the boyfriend were the problem. I think I'm still staying away from this book I don't think I'll like it no matter what kind of reviews it gets. But I ways like to see the different perspectives. I'm glad you looked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reviewed this book a couple of weeks ago and gave it 3.5 stars, too. I'm still shocked how her family treated her. Who does that?! I'm like you and would have totally rebelled and blared my voice on every venue possible. I certainly would not have been calling my sister, either. I'm still really on the fence about Sam. One minute I really like him and the next he was being a douche. After the drummer (I can't remember her name!) told Bailey that he did the same thing to her to get her to play, I would have walked out of the parking lot and never turned back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really god point! he was a bit shifty really!

      Delete
  3. I was so hoping this one would turn out good. I really need a sweet romance right now.

    ReplyDelete