Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Beastly by Alex Flinn


Beastly
Blurb (from Goodreads):
I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright--a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.


Beastly by Alex Flinn

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Beastly(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Kyle is rich and good-looking, and he knows it. When a girl calls him on it though, and says that he needs to look past beauty, he plays a cruel prank on her, and she returns the favour by cursing him – to be a beast, unless he can find true love, in his beastly form.
Kyle believes that no-one will ever love him, so he hides away, or rather his father hides him away.
Can Kyle find someone to love him? And can he do it before it’s too late?


This was an okay re-telling of beauty and the beast, but it wasn’t anything new or exciting unfortunately.
Kyle was a typical spoiled selfish teenager, and he deserved to be taught a lesson. The problem was that I just didn’t buy his reformation. When he started gardening and reading classic novels, it just didn’t feel right, it felt false, like he was pretending to be something he wasn’t, and when he then began to think more of others it felt really false too. It just seemed so out of character for him, and like he was trying to be something that he wasn’t.

The storyline played out as you would expect from beauty and the beast, but the small changes to the plot didn’t really do it for me. The whole thing felt cliché, and I didn’t really believe that Kyle was reformed or learning anything which was kinda the point of the story. There were also these ‘chat’ sections during the story which were supposed to be Kyle chatting online, but they just annoyed me too to be honest.
Overall; this was an okay re-telling of beauty and the beast, but there was nothing new or exciting.
6.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, doesn't sound like anything too new to me.

    ReplyDelete