Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Touching Melody (Forever First #1) by RaShelle Workman

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to All Night Reads and Netgalley.
Touching Melody (Forever First #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
**Due to its heavy subject matter, this book is recommended for ages 17+**

Maddie Martin's first weekend at college is nothing like she's used to. It's wild, like the wilderness on which the University of Bellam Springs sits. Roped into going to a fraternity party, she literally runs into Kyle Hadley. The boy she's loved since she was nine. The boy she promised all of her firsts to. But that was before his father killed her parents.

Determined to stay away from him, she throws herself into her music. Practicing piano eases her heavy heart, calms the sadness, and pushes away images of Kyle's face.

Until it doesn't.

Her music professor asks her to play a duet for their annual Winter Gala. Doing so means she'll be assured another full ride scholarship. It's an opportunity she can't pass up.

But Kyle is the other half of the duet. And that means hours and hours of practicing.

Weeks of seclusion - just the two of them. And it's more than just music. It's passion like Maddie never believed was possible.

The inevitable happens. She falls in love with him all over again.

But, will loving him be enough to erase all the hate in her heart for his father? Can she look at him, and not see the evil in his family tree?

And maybe it's all a set up. Maybe Kyle is only pretending to care so he can finish what his father started, and kill her too.



Touching Melody by RaShelle Workman

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Touching Melody (Forever First #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to All Night Reads and Netgalley.)
18-year-old Maddie is still coming to terms with the death of her parents around 7 years ago. She knows that they were killed by her best friend Kyle’s father, but was unable to point the finger at him because he was a high ranking police officer.

Now Maddie is at college, the same college as Kyle, who she hasn’t seen or spoken to in 7 years. She knows that she’s in love with him though, and she even saved her firsts for him – kissing, touching, sex etc.
Can Maddie get past who Kyle’s father was though? Can she really love the boy whose father took everything from her? And do bad people raise bad kids?


This was an okay contemporary romance, but certain plot-lines, and inconsistencies in the storyline drove me nuts.

The book started out okay, if a little strange. Maddie is new to college, she’s room-mates with some sort of punk/goth girl, and even though they have zero in common they are becoming friends. Maddie’s ex-best friend Kyle is also at the same college – and it’s really unclear as to whether or not she knew he would be at this certain college before she got there. If she didn’t, then that’s one hell of a coincidence, especially considering that she runs into him on like her first day?! And that’s not where the coincidences end – just imagine, they are both super-talented piano players too! Sorry, but I just don’t buy it. Far too coincidental for me I’m afraid.

When Maddie sees Kyle again for the first time, she immediately hugs him, whilst he pretends that he doesn’t know who she is. Why he does that is not explained, and I really didn’t get it. Kyle’s point of view at that point starts going on about how much he loves her and wants her, but he then walks away from her and goes off to have a threesome with two other girls. Why? I don’t know. I suppose it might be that he’s annoyed at her for ignoring him for the past 7 years, but this isn’t explained so I’m really not sure.

Maddie knows that she is in love with Kyle, but she’s not happy about it because his father killed her parents – we don’t find out why until the very end of the book. I can see why she wouldn’t want to be with him because of this, and I can also see how you can’t control who you love, but still, it seems like a giant leap of faith to start a relationship with a boy whose father killed your parents.

Anyway, the next thing to annoy me was a conversation that happened between Maddie’s therapist and Kyle. I know the conversation wasn’t detailed as such, but I don’t think that therapists are allowed to just speak to people randomly about their patients, without consent. This was, as a friend suggested – implausible, and pretty irritating.

After that though, things went from bad to worse. I’ll share with you my status updates from Goodreads so you have an idea of where my head was, and because if I talk through all these points this review will never end:

57.0% "He puts her head on his thigh then kisses her neck - how flexible is he?"

63.0% "So before he said that he wanted her sober, and now he's getting her drunk!"

64.0% "What is the big deal about seeing his shoes?"

65.0% "3 shots of vodka and she's passed out? What a lightweight!"

65.0% "His cousin seriously expects him to let him rape Maddie, and threatens to tell his uncle if he doesn't? That is bizarre."

67.0% "I hope she wouldn't get in the car with him if she really knew what he thought of her."

71.0% "I'm not sure this book needs the warning about sexual content as all this girl does is moan that she's not ready yet! It's getting kind of old."

89.0% "So her aunt and uncle don't believe in mobile phones, and never let her have one, and now they're checking she's got it on her before she goes out? Just what?! That doesn’t make sense!

97.0% "I'm dating the son of the man who killed my parents.” “Great, let's have pie.” Seriously?!

99.0% "I've finished, and there is no sex at all!"


So as you can see, there were several things that annoyed me in the second half of this book. I was not impressed that the storyline about Maddie’s room-mate being on drugs wasn’t wrapped up at the end. We guess that she’s on drugs from all the sniffing, Maddie sees coke in her bag, then she’s giving Maddie some really strong pain killers, and then nothing more is said. Is she still doing drugs or what? We never find out.
I am shocked to find out that this is the start of a series though, so maybe goth-girl’s drugs issues will be explored in the next book?
Overall; this book bugged me, on several issues, and I’m not impressed.
4 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry you didn't enjoy this one.
    I was recently complaining to someone about the overuse of coincidence as a plot device in books, and they mentioned that they thought NA books often were guilty of that. You know, I fall in love and then find out that he's the guy who killed my sister, etc.
    IDK, I think those plot twists can sometimes work, but sometimes that much coincidence makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I loved your goodreads updates. It really helped me see this book for what it is.

    ReplyDelete