Tuesday, 4 June 2013

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Atria Books and Netgalley.
The Sea of Tranquility
Blurb (from Goodreads):
I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Full of rage and without a purpose, former pianist Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone discovering her past and to make the boy who took everything from her pay.

All 17 year-old Josh Bennett wants is to build furniture and be left alone, and everyone allows it because it’s easier to pretend he doesn’t exist. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, a hot mess of a girl who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. The more he gets to know her, the more of a mystery she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he may ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a slow-building, character-driven romance about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.

Please Note: This book contains mature content including profanity, drug/alcohol use, and sexual situations/language.



The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


The Sea of Tranquility(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Atria Books and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Nastya has a secret. Once the ‘Brighton Piano Girl’ she now dresses in black, and doesn’t speak – to anyone. Nobody at her new school knows why she’s like this; she just is, and she refuses to tell anyone what happened to her to cause this drastic transformation.

17-year-old Josh also has history. His entire family is dead, and the kids at school won’t go near him because of the ‘dead zone’ surrounding him.

Nastya is drawn to Josh though, and they slowly draw each other out of their respective shells.
What has happened in Nastya’s past though? Can Josh and Nastya be more than friends? And what surprises does the future hold in-store for them both?



This book was okay, but the slow pace and constant waiting to find out what had happened frustrated me.

Both Nastya and Josh are broken in this story, both have been through difficult stuff that they shouldn’t have had to face at their age, and both have lived to tell the tale, even if they haven’t survived whole.

Nastya had lost her career, her passion, and her identity in an event that she doesn’t want to talk about, and the reader doesn’t find out about until really late on in the book. This waiting to find out what had happened drove me slightly nuts. We all know it was something monumental, we all know that it broke her both physically, mentally, and emotionally, but we don’t know what it was. This continued until really late in the book, and the slow pace was tortuous. For me this book could have been half the length, and would have kept my attention much more than reading through unnecessary conversations and events.

The romance between Josh and Nastya was nice, although again, very slow building. I liked that Nastya felt comfortable enough to talk to Josh when she wouldn’t talk to anyone else, but I didn’t like the way that they both hid their feelings for one another. I also didn’t like the way that Josh carried on with his little ‘friends-with-benefits’ scheme that he had going on with another girl while he was falling for Nastya. Bad idea.

I mainly read this book because so many people had told me how wonderful it was, but for me this was just alright. The slow pace was annoying, and I got really frustrated that we had no idea what had happened to Nastya, and it was taking so long to find out!

Overall; I did enjoy this book, but the slow pace and constantly waiting to find out what had happened was a little annoying.
7 out of 10.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of broken/troubled main characters, but seeing so many good reviews. I want to pick this up. Not that into slow pacing, either, so... I don't know anymore. Thanks for sharing!

    Christie @ The Shadower's Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, so sorry to hear it was just okay. You know me, I still need to post my review but I am giving it 6 stars. So yeah, I loved it. I guess the slow pace just didn't bother me this time around.

    ReplyDelete