Monday, 10 June 2013

Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu


Legend (Legend, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.


Legend by Marie Lu

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Legend (Legend, #1)(Source: Purchased on kindle from Amazon.co.uk for £2.99.)
15-year-old Day is a wanted criminal. His own mother believes him dead, and his only friend is a girl who he met on the streets. When his youngest brother is diagnosed with the plague though, Day knows that it’s up to him to steal the cure from the hospital for him, no matter what it takes.

15-year-old June is an orphan, and her older brother Metias is her only living relative. June is a child prodigy, the only person ever to score a perfect 1500 on ‘the trial’ – a test that every 10 year old must go through. Metias is a captain in the military, and June can’t wait to join him, until disaster strikes and Metias is killed.
Now June is making it her mission to find the boy who killed her brother and make him pay, and her sights are set firmly on Day.
Did Day really kill Metias though? Can Day save his brother and escape with his life? And what will happen when June and Day finally meet?


This was an enjoyable dystopian story, and I liked the suspense as the story progressed.

Day and June were both likeable characters, and both cared deeply for their respective families. I liked the way that both had strong ideas about right and wrong, and both cared enough to stick their necks out when they felt the situation required it.

I liked the storyline, and liked the way that Day and June became acquainted with one another. I was quite shocked when it was revealed that Metias was dead as I wasn’t expecting it at all, although there were other things that I did manage to predict. I don’t think there was a lot of romance in this one though, the storyline mainly focused on June and Day individually. There was quite a lot of suspense in this one though, waiting for June and Day to meet, wondering what will happen when they do, and wondering how it will all end!
I did like the ending, and I am looking forward to reading the next in the series, I have a feeling that I will probably need to read books 2 and 3 quite close together though so I may wait to read Prodigy when book 3 is released.
Overall; an enjoyable and suspenseful dystopian.
7 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I keep putting this one off but I think it's time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would like May and June, sounds great Sarah

    ReplyDelete