Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Impostor (Variants #1) by Susanne Winnacker

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Penguin Young Readers Group, Razorbill, and Netgalley.
Impostor (Variants, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Can Tessa pose as Madison . . . and stop a killer before it’s too late? 

Tessa is a Variant, able to absorb the DNA of anyone she touches and mimic their appearance. Shunned by her family, she’s spent the last two years training with the Forces with Extraordinary Abilities, a secret branch of the FBI. When a serial killer rocks a small town in Oregon, Tessa is given a mission: she must impersonate Madison, a local teen, to find the killer before he strikes again.

Tessa hates everything about being an impostor—the stress, the danger, the deceit—but loves playing the role of a normal girl. As Madison, she finds friends, romance, and the kind of loving family she’d do anything to keep. Amid action, suspense, and a ticking clock, this super-human comes to a very human conclusion: even a girl who can look like anyone struggles the most with being herself.



Impostor by Susanne Winnacker

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Impostor (Variants, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Penguin Young Readers Group, Razorbill, and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Tessa is a variant. Just by touching someone she can copy their DNA, and change her body to look exactly like theirs.

18-year-old Madison is the 4th victim of a serial killer, and although she’s not dead, she’s in a coma and likely to die soon.

Tessa works for the FEA – a branch of the FBI, and after 2 years of training, Madison will be Tessa’s first assignment. It’s up to her to take over Madison’s life, and to catch her killer.
Can Tessa really fool people into thinking she is Madison though? Can she catch the killer? And can she do it without getting killed in the process?


This was an interesting story about a girl who could basically morph herself into someone else!

Tessa was an interesting character, but I did think that she was too easily swayed. I know that she was obviously stuck working for this group called the FEA, but she didn’t seem to even think about maybe wanting to not work for them, or wanting to get away and have her life back to herself.
She didn’t really seem worried about impersonating someone who had a killer after them either. While her best friends were quite rightly worried, she just saw it as a mission, and didn’t really seem to take into consideration that this was real, and she could actually end up dead.

There was some romance in this book, although it took place in the form of a love triangle. Tessa is in love with her best friend Alec, but Alec is going out with Kate, which Tessa isn’t happy about. This romance was a little odd though, and I couldn’t help but feel that Alec was hiding something from Tessa, and that there was more to his relationship with Kate than Tessa realised. I can only guess that we will find out more about this in the next book.

I liked the storyline, although Tessa seemed to fool people really easily into believing she was Madison. I felt really sorry for Madison’s friends and family who believed her to be alive and well, when really she was dead, and I also felt sorry for Tessa who found herself part of a loving family – something that she herself hadn’t had for years.

I didn’t guess who the killer was, I thought the signs pointed to someone else. The actually reason for the murders was a bit odd though, and was a bit anti-climactic. I also thought that the ending was a little too beneficial for certain people too, and wasn’t really sure about the believability of the FEA’s newest discoveries (sorry, trying not to give spoilers!). I did like the mystery of who the killer was though, even if I didn’t guess right!
I also liked the way that the story was opened up at the end for the next book in the series though. It will be interesting to find out what happens to Tessa and her team next!
Overall; an interesting start to the series.
7 out of 10.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

5 comments:

  1. I hate tidy endings but love cliffhangers! Great review. I've been seeing this one around a lot so I might have to check it out now :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for this book. Happy it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I guess wrong about the identity of the "baddie." (Unless we're watching a thriller and my father and brothers claim to have guessed right and make me feel like an imbecile.) This one looks neat, though it's too bad about the ending. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this one! Great review. Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very eager to read this book, there are so many elements I like and I love the x men vibe. I am glad that it wasn't easy to figure it all out as well!

    ReplyDelete