Thursday, 13 June 2013

Dead Radiance (Valkyrie #1) by T.G. Ayer

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author T. G. Ayer.
Dead Radiance (Valkyrie, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Bryn Halbrook had always seen the glow. But it is only when her best friend dies that she discovers the meaning of those beautiful golden auras — Death. Alone, lost in the foster system, she struggles to understand who she is and why she was cursed with the ability to see the soon-to-be-dead.

The new foster kid, Aidan, isn’t helping any. Mr. Perfect seems to fit in no matter what, making her feel even more pathetic. But when his affections turn to her, Bryn finds him hard to resist. Impossible actually. A mystery himself, Aidan disappears, leaving behind a broken heart and a mysterious book that suggests Bryn might not be entirely human.

Bryn stands at the threshold of a journey of discovery. Will destiny help her find herself, find her purpose and her place in a world in which she’d never belonged?

Excerpt:
That day I knew for sure. I'd lost control of my tears then. They fell in huge, mocking drops. I stared at Joshua through those bitter tears, my heart missing beats as I tried to remember to breathe.

I finally knew what the glow meant.

I was a freak and Joshua was going to die.


Dead Radiance by T.G. Ayer

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Dead Radiance (Valkyrie, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author T. G. Ayer.)
16-year-old Bryn always knew that she was different, but despite a pushy psychiatrist, she’s always been able to see a golden glow around certain people. Now Bryn knows what the glow means though, and she’s scared.

It started with a girl at school – she glowed gold, then she died. Then it was Bryn’s best friend Joshua, and he died too. Now it’s Bryn’s younger foster brother Brody, and she doesn’t know what she can do to stop what seems inevitable. Her newest foster brother Aidan is different though. She barely knows him, but she can’t help but be attracted to him, and to also feel like she can confide in him.
What or who is Bryn? Can she trust Aidan? And is there anything she can do to prevent her younger brother’s death?



This was an interesting story about a teenage girl who is a reincarnated Valkyrie, and her discovery of her true heritage.

I have never read anything about Valkyries before, so this was new for me! I liked the storyline in this book but it was actually the first few chapters that I found most compelling. Bryn’s grief over the loss of her best friend, and her blossoming feelings for Aidan were compelling reading, and I really felt for her, and sympathised with the situation she was put in. I found the Valkyrie stuff a little confusing in places, I’ve never read anything about Valkyries before, and have no clue about their background or the ideas behind them at all. Thankfully the story had enough explanation to get me through without needing to know any extra information, but if you already have an interest in this subject then I’m guessing that the story would probably mean more to you!

Bryn was a really caring person, and I was impressed at how well she was coping following her father’s death and her mother’s abandonment. I also thought she showed great feeling and respect when she expressed a desire to let her foster mother know that she was okay, and again when she wanted to tell her dead friends that she was okay too, even if it wasn’t exactly possible.

I liked Aidan, and I would have liked for there to have been maybe a touch more romance between the pair. Aidan’s flirting and character was really sweet, and really wanted Bryn and Aidan to be together properly. I thought they made a really good couple, and it was a shame how their situation seemed to be keeping them apart.

I did enjoy this story overall, although I wasn’t the biggest fan of the cliff-hanger ending. I did like the main characters Bryn and Aidan, and it was interesting to learn a little about Valkyries. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to Bryn and Aidan in the next instalment!
Overall; an enjoyable and different story about a reincarnated Valkyrie.
6.75 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. Great review, Sarah! And Aidan sounds so interesting too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um yes!!! This looks really good. Sounds pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this one. It looks different!

    ReplyDelete