Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Dark Child: Episode 1 by Adina West


Dark Child: Episode 1
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Kat can run a marathon without breaking a sweat. Catch anything you throw at her. Differentiate blood types by smell alone. And she’s spent years hiding the fact. But secrets from the past have a way of slipping out when least expected … and a simple blood test is enough to turn her quiet life in the shadow of the Appalachian Mountains upside down forever …

Pathology technician Kat Chanter isn’t looking for trouble. On a good day, the most exciting thing in her life is the iridescent violet nail varnish on her housemate Tiffany’s manicured fingers. But lately, Kat’s been craving raw meat, and her dreams – always weird – are getting so realistic it’s scary. When she visits a psychic she’s told her life is about to change forever. Kat isn’t so sure change is a part of her plan, but a blood test at work raises more questions about her unique heritage she has no idea how to answer, so when a fabulous job offer comes her way – one that will give her the chance to research others just like her – she’s tempted to say yes and make the move to New York.

Will her dream job bring answers to all her questions or will it lead her into more trouble than she could ever imagine?


Dark Child: Episode 1 by Adina West

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Dark Child: Episode 1(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk.)
24-year-old pathology technician Kat thinks she’s maybe anaemic when she faints at work, but when she looks more closely at a sample of her own blood, she realises that there’s something more than anaemia going on.

When her boss sees the blood samples she’s working on, things get out of hand, and before she knows it, she’s being offered a job in New York.
Kat doesn’t know why she’s different though, and having never known her father, she realises that he might be the reason for her differences.


This book is only part 1 of this story, and in it we get some of Kat’s back story. We learn how she’s always been fast to heal, and that she didn’t know her father. We also learn that she can tell blood types apart by scent alone, and that she seems to have some sort of strange relationship with a wolf!
I did think that Kat was maybe a little too accepting of her differences, and I also wondered if she should maybe have questioned her differentness and her background prior to this one episode of fainting in the lab. At the age of 24 I would have expected her to have thought about this before now, but I suppose life gets in the way.
I’m thinking that this story is maybe going to become a werewolf story, but I can’t say for sure. It certainly seems to be headed that way though.

I thought this instalment was okay, but I’m not 100% sure if I want to continue with the series. I’m still in two minds as to whether I like the way some stories are published as serials, having read one really good one, and one kinda bad one. I am interested to see where Kat’s story goes from here though, and how it will progress, I have a feeling that this could be a real hit-or-miss book for me though so I’m a little hesitant!
Overall; an okay start to the story.
6 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. See, I immediately thought "vampire," but I guess the wolf thing hints at werewolf. I prefer reading serials all at once so that it's more like reading a normal book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you aren't sure if you want to continue the serial then that's a bad sign. It does sound kind of interesting.

    ReplyDelete