Friday, 14 June 2013

Clean Slate Complex (Daynight 0.5) by Megan Thomason

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Megan Thomason, Patchwork Press, and Netgalley.
Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #0.5)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Meet The Second Chance Institute (SCI): Worldwide non-profit and do-gooder organization. Their motto: Because Everyone Deserves a Second Chance at Life(TM). Reality: hidden behind every kind act is a dark agenda designed to gain control and force societal and moral extremes. Currently, the SCI’s pushing Project Liberate, a program to woo the poor and downtrodden into their Clean Slate Complexes—where “everything is provided” from jobs to food, shelter, clothing, and education. Unfortunately, as with all things that sound too good to be true, there’s a catch…

Meet Alexa Knight. Feisty, tough and currently homeless in Los Angeles, Alexa agrees to help the SCI in return for medical care for her sick mother. When she starts to suspect there’s more to the SCI than meets the eye will she believe Adam—the boy who saved her life and the SCI’s biggest champion, or Joshua—the attractive enigma who sings about conspiracy theories and pretends to be someone he’s not?

Full of action, humor, romance, twists and turns, clean slate complex is a companion story to the highly-praised dystopian novel, 'daynight'. It can be enjoyed before or after reading 'daynight'.



Clean Slate Complex by Megan Thomason

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #0.5)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Megan Thomason, Patchwork Press, and Netgalley.)
This is a novella, which comes before book 1 ‘Daynight’, in the Daynight series.
Alexa has been living in a van with her mother and three brothers for the past 3 years, after her father ran out on them, and they couldn’t afford to pay their rent anymore.
Now Alexa’s mother is seriously ill, their van has broken down, and they don’t even have a working phone to call for help.

When Adam comes along with his bus and his offer of health-care, food, and shelter at the ‘Clean Slate Complex’, Alexa is suspicious, but with her mother so ill they have little choice but to accept his help.
What exactly is the Clean Slate Complex though? How do they help so many people? And is it really too good to be true?


This novella is the start to the Daynight series, and introduces us to Alexa, Adam, and Joshua. I haven’t read ‘Daynight’ yet, so I’ve no idea if these characters will pop up in that too, but from the blurb they don’t sound like main characters, although that awaits to be seen.

I really liked Alexa, I liked how she stood up for what she felt was right, no matter what trouble it got her in, and I liked how loving and protective she was of her mother.
I liked both Adam and Josh, although I was wary of both of them, but for different reasons. Adam seemed a little naïve, and came across as almost brainwashed by the people of the Clean Slate Complex, whilst Josh being related to the people running the CSC, made me wonder if Alexa should really trust him.

I liked the storyline, and I too was very wary of what exactly this organisations true intentions were, and what happened to these people once they were picked up by the ‘Second Chance Institute’. I liked the mystery surrounding them, and Alexa’s fight to try and work out what was really going on.
I liked the little touch of romance in this book, even if there was a hint of a love triangle, although the romance wasn’t the focal point of the story, and it will be interesting to see if this couple continue to be a couple in the next book.
There were quite a lot of cryptic conversations in this book, and lots of hints towards a bigger story. The book did leave loads of open questions, which was to be expected with this being a prequel novella, but I did like how the story was built up, and I’m interested to see how things will develop in the next book in the series.
Overall; an interesting start to the story.
6.75 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. Yes, always be suspicious of people who offer good things for "free"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, not my thing but happy it was somewhat good. The cover sucks. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read daynight first and then Clean Slate. I loved daynight. If I had read Clean Slate first I'm not sure I would have jumped to reading daynight so quick. The fiery inferno part in Clean Slate freaked me out. It all makes sense in daynight though. Keep reading! And the cover for Clean Slate I think first perfect once you understand the whole plot : )

    ReplyDelete