Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Spirit (Elemental #3) by Brigid Kemmerer

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and Netgalley.
Spirit (Elemental, #3)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
With power comes enemies. Lots of them.

Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He’s learned the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can’t seem to afford any allies.

He’s up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.

Then there’s Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She’s not hostile. She’s bold. Funny. Hot. But she’s got an agenda, too.

With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down. But finding out what means he’ll have to find someone he can trust…



Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Spirit (Elemental, #3)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and Netgalley.)
This is book 3 in the ‘Elementals’ series, and kicks off a short time after the end of book 2 ‘Spark’.
Hunter has too much rubbish to deal with. Calla’s got it in for him, the Merrick’s don’t trust him, and his mother and grandparents don’t seem to know him at all.

Then Kate shows up, but what Hunter doesn’t know is that Kate is an elemental too, and as a guide it’s her job to dispatch the rogue elementals in the area, including Hunter and the Merrick’s.
Can Kate really kill though? Can a romance form between two people who might have to kill each other? And if Kate can’t do her job, will her superior do it for her?



This was a good third book in the series, but for me it didn’t hold a flame to ‘Spark’.

I have to say that I was really looking forward to this book, I absolutely loved Spark, and I loved Breathless too, but this just wasn’t as good for me.
I remember liking Hunter in the first book in the series, but I just couldn’t warm to him in this book. He did grow on me a little as the story progressed, but I didn’t love him the way I love Gabriel! Maybe Gabe has just spoiled me for life or something.
Anyway, I didn’t fall in love with Hunter in this book, and I didn’t really like Kate either. I was very wary of her, as I was unsure which side she was on, and I just couldn’t really connect with her either. Her working with ‘Silver’ (her superior), who was pretty psychotic really didn’t ender her to me either.
The Merrick’s weren’t in this book much, which was probably half the problem. They did help Hunter, but they didn’t feature much, which was a shame. I need a good dose of the Merrick’s!

The romance in this one felt almost non-existent to me too. Hunter and Kate did spend some time texting each other which was a little flirty, but it just wasn’t that same as it was in the previous books. The romance was almost a side-line to the main plot, and there just wasn’t enough of it for me.

The storyline in this book was okay, but I have to admit that I did find myself bored, and it took me a lot longer to get through it than I expected because I didn’t feel that pull to keep reading. Most of the story was concerned with Hunter’s problems with his family, Calla trying to pressurise Hunter by setting more fires, and Kate and Silver being after the Merrick’s and Hunter.
There was one shock event towards the end of the book, which I thought was a very bold move by the author, but although the event should have been sad and shocking, I didn’t feel anything.
Overall; a good third book, but I expected more.
6.75 out of 10.

4 comments:

  1. I have not yet started this series but I really want to since everyone's been reviewing Spirit. Too bad you didn't like it that much :( Thanks for sharing! :)

    Christie @ The Shadower's Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. in a way i totally agree Hunter just wasn't a Merrick brother so somehow he felt a bit non-essential to me still he grew on me with this book....

    do check out my review too here
    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about starting this series all the time! So many books though. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. I just didn't like Hunter in this book, and I liked him in the others. Kate was blah too. Romance was boring. The plot was boring. I was so sad to not really like this book.

    ReplyDelete