Sunday, 28 April 2013

The Elite (The Selection, #2) by Kiera Cass



The Elite (The Selection, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


The Elite by Kiera Cass

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The Elite (The Selection, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins publishers and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘The Selection’ series, and picks up where book 1 left off.
The 35 girls of ‘The Selection’ have been reduced to just 6, and it’s time for America to not only work to keep her place in the game, but to also make a decision as to who she really wants to be with – Prince Maxon, or her childhood sweetheart Aspen
The competition is also heating up, with some unexpected events, and more rebel action.
What do the rebels want? Who will be sent home next? And who will America choose?


Beautiful and captivating, this book had me from the very first page!

I loved ‘The Selection’, and I was so excited to finally have a copy of ‘The Elite’ to read, and I really was not disappointed. America continued to be not only the underdog of the competition, but also the one who truly seemed to have captivated the prince’s heart. Her heart seemed to be in the right place in that she was always doing what seemed right to her, even if the things she did endeared her more to the lower castes than the king.

The romance in this book was quite sweet, but I really wanted America to just make a decision and stick with it! It seemed obvious how America and Maxon felt about each other, so the fact that he was off flirting with the other 5 girls in the selection, and she was still making out with Aspen was a bit annoying! I really wanted Maxon to just propose, and send the other girls home instead of them constantly seeming to play games with each others feelings. America also wore something which linked her to Aspen which for me was a really stupid thing to do, and the way she kept asking for more time was irritating too!
I have to say that if America and Maxon don’t end up together by the end of this series I will be really annoyed!

I liked the storyline in this book, and although America was a little immature and indecisive at times I couldn’t help but love this story. I don’t know what it is about these books but I really love the way they are written, and I actually think that ‘The Elite’ was better than ‘The Selection’!

Overall; I really loved this book, and although America had her faults, I hated to put this down! Can’t wait for book 3!!! I want it now!!!
9 out of 10.



buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series yet but it sounds really interesting. I read mixed reviews about it though. And I'm really curious about the male leads. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. My daughter really loved The Elite (I liked it a lot) and is going to be excited that the library is getting this. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I marked the first book as DNF but everyone else seems to love the books. I might just try to give it another chance. Great review!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent read this series, but I know that a lot of people love it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoy these so much! And I hope that the love triangle ends up the way you want :)

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so happy you liked it. I did hear that the "couple" flirting with other people was annoying. But I am happy it didn't mar the rest of the book for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it looks like the insides match the pretty outside. Glad to see you loved this. I have this I just need to read the first one. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm both excited and hesitant to read The Elite. I liked the first one but I've heard mixed reviews about this one. But I will read it anyway because lets face it, that cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete