Friday, 5 April 2013

Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1) by Susan Kaye Quinn

Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When everyone reads minds, a secret is a dangerous thing to keep.

Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can’t read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can’t be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. When she accidentally controls Raf’s mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she’s dragged deep into a hidden world of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her.


Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1)(Source: Downloaded for free from amazon.co.uk.)
Kira is a zero. Everyone else in the world can read each other’s minds, except for the zeros who are shunned for being different, and although Kira still has
Everyone tells Kira that there’s still time for her to change, but Kira has little hope, her grandmother was a zero too.

One day something strange happens though; just as her best friend Raf is about to kiss her, she shouts ‘no’ in her mind, and knocks him out! When another student (Simon) then approaches her and tells her that she is a ‘jacker’; someone who is able to jack into somebody else’s brain and tell them what to do, Kira thinks he is joking, although she soon realises that it’s no joke.

Simon is planning on joining a group of jackers known as ‘the clan’, and he wants Kira to go with him. Kira is shocked though when Simon’s initiation involves killing someone with his mind. Panicking, Kira somehow manages to knock out all of the jackers with her mind.
What makes Kira different? Why does she seem to be getting stronger? How many other jackers are there out there? And how long before someone realises Kira’s secret and comes after her?


This was an interesting story, and I liked the idea of the mind ‘jackers’.

Kira was a girl who knew that she was different, but wished that being different wasn’t such a problem! More than anything she wanted to be a good person, and to become a doctor, which wasn’t possible if her mind couldn’t be read. Finding out that she was a jacker was a huge shock to her, and she was very reluctant to use her powers because she didn’t want to take advantage of people. Finding herself in the jacker camps she realised that she might have to take advantage of people, or even hurt people to escape, and she found the strength to deal with that, and realised that sometimes she would have to make tough decisions.

I liked the romance in this book, although it was a little unclear at times whether Kira freaked out when Raf tried to kiss her because she only thought of him as a friend, or because she was nervous! I actually liked Simon more than Raf, and was really shocked by the spoiler with regards to Simon towards the end of the book.

I liked the storyline in this book, and thought that the idea of ‘jackers’ was quite clever. I would hate to live in Kira’s world and have people know my thoughts all the time though! I doubt what people think about you in the privacy of their own heads is complimentary, and I really couldn’t handle that.
Overall; and interesting concept, and a hint of romance.
6.75 out of 10.



buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

9 comments:

  1. The plot sounds really interesting and unique. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. Thanks for the review!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already bought this and it's on my TBR list. Looking forward to reading it after your review. I just read the first installment in Susan's Debt Collector serial. It's really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I keep hearing this series is really good I like the idea of mind jackers it sounds really neat. The romance sounds weird though, she was freaking out? lol. Anyways I really want to give it a shot! Great review, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mind jackers def is a great premise. I need to check this one out soon.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this on my kindle! must read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually love this series. BUT Susan's newest venture is really great: Delirium. It's more New Adult, I suppose, but it's really quite awesome. I have all the Mind Jack books in print and signed by Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound like a sucky world, but the idea of Jackers is interesting. Happy this was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I have this one on my Kindle and I should bump it up on the tbr list. I love stories about mind-readers, but you're right-to actually live in one would be a horror!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love this concept! I was always a shy teen so I think you mentioning that maybe the main character was just nervous around the boy could be something I could connect with. Great review!

    ReplyDelete