Thursday, 21 March 2013

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen




This Lullaby
When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about?



This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This Lullaby(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
18-year-old Remy is looking forward to her last summer before college, and intends to spend it dating various different boys, and just having fun.

Remy has strict rules about who she will and will-not date (no musicians, no golfers), and rules about how relationships die too, she’s seen enough of her mother’s failed relationships to know that they all end eventually, and even her own father let her down.

When Remy meets Dexter she has no intention of speaking to him, never mind starting a relationship with him, but Dexter has a way of turning up in places where Remy goes, and after a while they start dating.

There’s something different about Remy’s relationship with Dexter though. She hasn’t slept with him, she bought him cutlery, and she hasn’t had the ‘this isn’t serious’ talk with him. Her friends are starting to talk, and Remy is a little unsure what she is doing herself.
Is Dexter different though? Can Remy and Dexter’s relationship survive Remy’s rules? And is everything that Remy thinks she knows about love really true of all relationships?


I really liked this book, it was a great contemporary YA, and I felt like Remy really learned something along the way.

Remy was a great lead character in this book. She was so sure of herself, and so organised, and knew exactly what she wanted to do with her last summer before collage. It was actually really nice to see her begin to doubt what she thought she knew about love, and to be unsure about Dexter.

I liked that Remy based her opinions on love on her mother’s failed marriages, and had a reason for her cynicism, but I also liked how much faith and hope her mother continued to have despite her numerous failures, which I found quite inspiring. I liked how Remy continued to help her mother plan her weddings etc., even when she herself believed that they would all end the same way.

I liked Dexter, and even though I wasn’t sure that he was right for Remy, it was nice to see the way that he slowly won her over, even if it took a long time for her to accept how she felt about him. I loved how optimistic and uplifting this book was, and I was pleased that I actually liked the ending!

The thing I liked most about this book was how funny it was! I loved some of the things that Dexter came out with, and the bands songs were also quite funny at times – the potato song was so ridiculous it was amusing. I liked how this book left me with a smile on my face!

The ‘lullaby’ reference was a song that Remy’s father wrote for her when she was born. A song that told her that he would let her down, which he did considering that he never even met her. It was nice how this song and idea was woven into the book, and how the song stayed with Remy right the way through, even when her opinion of it changed.

I really liked the storyline in this book and how Remy grows during that one summer. There were moments in this book that were so sweet, and moments that made me laugh, and moments that just made me feel happy. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Overall; a great YA contemporary novel that will leave you with a smile on your face.
8 out of 10.



  buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this book,Sarah because I'm a HUGE Dessen fan. And Remy is definitely one of my favorite Dessen characters-You can't help but fall in love with the characters that Sarah creates. You should also check out Along for the Ride & What Happened to Goodbye.

    The potato song was definitely super cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like great characters. And I love books that can make me laugh. Great review.

    ReplyDelete