Tuesday, 5 March 2013

The Bane (Eden, #1) by Keary Taylor



The Bane (Eden, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Before the Evolution there was TorBane: technology that infused human DNA with cybernetic matter. It had the ability to grow new organs and limbs, to heal the world. Until it evolved out of control and spread like the common cold. The machine took over, the soul vanished, and the Bane were born. The Bane won't stop until every last person has been infected. With less than two percent of the human population left, mankind is on the brink of extinction.

Eve knows the stories of the Evolution, the time before she wandered into the colony of Eden, unable to recall anything but her name. But she doesn't need memories to know this world is her reality. This is a world that is quickly losing its humanity, one Bane at a time.

Fighting to keep one of the last remaining human colonies alive, Eve finds herself torn between her dedication to the colony, and the discovery of love. There is Avian and West – one a soldier, one a keeper of secrets. And in the end, Eve will make a choice that will change the future of mankind.

The Bane is The Terminator meets The Walking Dead with a heart-twisting romance.

Previously published as Eden, due to reader demand it has been revamped and rereleased as The Bane: book one in The Eden Trilogy.


The Bane by Keary Taylor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Bane (Eden, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Keary Taylor Books and Netgalley.)
Eve lives in a post-apocalyptic society, in which humans are infected by cybernetics technology and turned into robots. These infected people are known as ‘The Bane’, and their main purpose seems to be to infect as many humans as possible until there are none left.

Eve lives in a small society called Eden, hidden in the countryside outside of a large city. There are only 34 of them, and they survive by growing their own food and hunting game in the forest.

With a new arrival to Eden, Eve begins to learn things about herself that she never knew before, and although she has no memories of life before Eden, she has no idea that she is not 100% human herself.
What exactly is Eve though? What does this newcomer to Eden (West) know about her past? And what is Eve and Eden’s future?


This was a great YA dystopian, with an interesting sci-fi twist.

Eve was a great main character. She was strong and fought for those she cared about with great passion. She kinda reminded me of Katniss from ‘The Hunger Games’ a bit, and I loved how she was so dedicated to helping the other inhabitants of Eden. She really did go above and beyond to help those she cared about, even when she believed that she didn’t know how to care.

There was a touch of romance in this story, and we also got a love triangle, with Eve developing very new feelings for both West – the newcomer, and Avian – Eden’s doctor. I liked both of the boys, although I have to say that Avian was my favourite. I liked how this wasn’t your average love triangle because Eve had been programmed not to have feelings, and it made it interesting to see how Eve not only had to choose between the two boys, but also had to learn what love was, and how loving someone felt.
Although I am not the biggest fan of love triangles, I didn’t mind it in this book, and I personally could see why Eve had a hard time choosing between West and Avian! There were some really touching moments with both boys, and I liked this romance element to the plot, even though it was not the main storyline, and thought that it fitted in with the other themes well.

I liked the storyline in this book, and there was plenty of excitement and anticipation, as the threat from ‘The Bane’ got closer and closer, and the residents of Eden were forced to make drastic changes and plans about the best way to try to stay alive. I liked the background information we got on the cybernetics that had caused the end of the world as we know it, and how plausible it seemed, and I also liked how Eve’s differences were relevant to people’s understanding of how ‘The Bane’ worked.
There was quite a lot of action towards the end of this book, and things weren’t easy for the humans battling against ‘The Bane’. I liked how there was no simple answer to the problems with ‘The Bane’, and that it was a real battle to try to make a change.
I did have one small niggle with a small detail towards the end, but it’s difficult to explain it without giving away spoilers, lets just say that I was a little concerned at how far-reaching the human’s solution to the Bane problem would really be, and that I wasn’t sure that Eve’s final little adventure right at the end was very safe!

I liked the ending of this book. I thought that the story had a proper ending, even though this is part of a trilogy, and I liked that most of the storylines were tied up at the end of this instalment. I am however very interested to see what happens next in this series! I like how although some of the problems were solved, the overall problem was not totally eliminated, leaving plenty of room for further exploration of this exciting dystopian world!
Overall; an interesting and well thought out YA dystopian.
8 out of 10.



'The Bane' will be released on March 5th 2013

10 comments:

  1. Wow a triangle that you didn't mind? I hope I feel the same I get so annoyed with them now. I think I'm overloaded lol. This book sounds good though I didn't know it was a dystopian. Great review, muffin cups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this on NetGalley I HAD to request it since it looked like a kick-ass dystopian-I'm glad it doesn't disappoint!

    Not a fan of love triangles either so I'm glad to hear that this didn't have one of THOSE love triangles-Thank God!

    BTW did you know that this book was initially called Eden(http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9635325-eden)-Apparently it was republished,the new cover is cooler though.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts,Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, I never wanted to read it originally cause I didn't like the cover though! Oops! My loss!

      Delete
  3. I want this one so much. :) Yours is the first review I've read for it and I'm so glad you liked it! I know exactly what you mean about a love triangle you can tolerate, so if that's what this is, then I won't mind either. I'm so, so glad there's a semi-resolution. I'm worn out with cliffhangers. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaay, so happy this one ended up being good. The action sounds awesome. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds interesting. I like that you mentioned how the story wrapped up its closer but just enough left open for more. I like when the story could be a standalone if necessary. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the girl on the cover the same one on all of Jillian Dodd's covers? Anyways, I'm excited this book was good because I have it on my TBR list and now I can't wait to read it! Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this book! But a love triangle? Oh, I don't know. Those always make me skeptical. But I wanna give this book a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a full-blown love triangle I'm afriad, bit of a tough choice though, I'll give her that!

      Delete