Thursday, 14 March 2013

Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1) by K.A. Tucker



Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Just breathe, Kacey. Ten tiny breaths. Seize them. Feel them. Love them.

Four years ago Kacey Cleary’s life imploded when her car was hit by a drunk driver, killing her parents, boyfriend, and best friend. Still haunted by memories of being trapped inside, holding her boyfriend’s lifeless hand and listening to her mother take her last breath, Kacey wants to leave her past behind. Armed with two bus tickets, twenty-year-old Kacey and her fifteen-year-old sister, Livie, escape Grand Rapids, Michigan, to start over in Miami. Struggling to make ends meet, Kacey needs to figure out how to get by. But Kacey’s not worried. She can handle anything—anything but her mysterious neighbor in apartment 1D.

Trent Emerson has smoldering blue eyes, deep dimples, and he perfectly skates that irresistible line between nice guy and bad boy. Hardened by her tragic past, Kacey is determined to keep everyone at a distance, but their mutual attraction is undeniable and Trent is determined to find a way into Kacey’s guarded heart—even if it means that an explosive secret could shatter both their worlds.


Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Atria Books and Netgalley.)
20-year-old Kacey and her 15-year-old siser Livie have suddenly had to move to Miami, after their uncle who they lived with got into Livie’s bed one night.
Moving into a not-very-attractive, but reasonably priced apartment, Kacey and Livie begin building a new life for themselves, with the help of their neighbour - Storm, and her 5-year-old daughter Mia.

Kacey and Livie have not had it easy, their parents were killed in a car accident 4 years ago which Kacey miraculously survived. Kacey has never come to terms with what happened though, and although she takes a lot of her aggression out on kick-boxing, she still has issues, and hates it when people touch her hands.

Things seem to be looking up for Kacey though, when the new neighbour in 1D turns out of be the gorgeous Trent, who seems to want nothing more than to make her happy.
Will Kacey ever get over what happened to her though? Can she really build a life for herself and Livie working for minimum wage? And is Trent Kacey’s happily ever after?


This was an interesting story, but light on the romance, and I saw the twist coming.

Kacey is a bit messed up over what she’s been through, and it seems that conventional therapy, and kick-boxing aren’t really helping her work through things. As much as she’s trying to be strong for Livie, and to build a new life for them, something is holding her back. Kacey does seem to be trying, she’s even stopped her destructive behaviours, but I think it’s obvious to everyone but her that she’s not functioning normally.

Trent comes across as a sweet guy, but he also displays some almost stalker-ish qualities, turning up at Kacey’s work, and staring at her for ages. It was nice that he made Kacey feel something, but his behaviour was also a little strange.

There was some romantic tension built up between Kacey and Trent, and although they seemed to like each other to start with, there was no insta-love, or immediate relationship between them. I have to say that as this is a ‘new adult’ book I was expecting there to be a little more in the way of ‘love’ scenes though. In my opinion this book was very light on those sort of scenes, with one very-anticipated encounter being over with in three lines. Not very satisfying.

The storyline was an interesting one, with both the Trent-Kacey storyline, and the Kacey’s past storyline. There was a twist in the tale towards the end, but I did totally see it coming. Trent asks Kacey a question at one point, and I immediately knew where the storyline was going to go from there.

The ending was okay, and things seemed to tie up nicely, but it almost felt a bit too neat. Like the issues that were dealt with in the book didn’t quite lead to the sort of happy ending we got. Maybe I’m just being picky, but after everything that happened, the ending wasn’t quite what I envisioned, even though aspects of it were good, it just felt a little unrealistic.
Overall; an okay storyline, but I expected more in the way of love scenes, and I guessed the twist before it happened.
6.75 out of 10.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

6 comments:

  1. Hmm...I wasn't so sure about this one, but I'm reconsidering after reading your review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I think I can see the twist and I haven't even read the book. :/ I hate it when that happens, it's so frustrating. I'd rather just have it all out in the open rather than trying so hard to have a surprise. That's a bummer about the romance level too. Great review - I haven't read much about this one.

    I like this cover so much better than the first one (or just our American one?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the author got a publishing deal which was the reason for the cover change. I liked both but I do like the new one the most ☺

      Delete
  3. Sorry the ending was a little too neat, but I like that their relationship wasn't insta-love there was some substance,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I loved this one. Sorry you didnt enjoy this one as much! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I expected more romance. I was looking forward to this one but now it just seems average. I will still read it though.

    ReplyDelete