Monday, 11 March 2013

Poison (ARC) by Bridget Zinn



Poison
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.


Poison by Bridget Zinn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Poison(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Kyra is on the run. After a failed assassination attempt on the princess and future queen of the kingdom, she’s been hiding out in the woods, and searching… for the princess, so that she can try to kill her again!

Kyra and Princess Arianna have been best friends since they were 12 years old, and Kyra never thought that a day would come when she would try to kill her, but Kyra has her reasons, even if everyone now thinks her a traitor.

Asking a man who hates her for help, following a small pig with a basket around its neck, and trying to evade the friendly traveller Fred with his wolf-like dog, Kyra must try to find and off the Princess, before her worse nightmares come true.
Where is Princess Arianna though? Why must Kyra kill her? And will she succeed?


I really enjoyed this book, it was fun and fresh and a great read.

Kyra was such a strong character. Totally focused on what she needed to do, and why she needed to do it, even when it was something that she never thought she would do in a million years. Her Poisons knowledge was formidable, and I loved how she also knew just how to circumvent the effects of a poison too, as well as how to use them to her own advantage.

I loved the banter between Kyra and Fred and how easy it was. I liked the friendship/ romance between these pair and found them to be really sweet together, I also have to say that I loved Rosie the pig! I have always wanted a pig as a pet and now I want one even more!

This book at times was a little like a fairy-tale, but I actually liked it more than the average fairy-tale! I loved the storyline, and totally didn’t see those little twists at the end coming!
I really enjoyed this book, and I’d say people of all ages would appreciate this one, with just a little spark of magic and mischief, this one is a keeper!
8 out of 10.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Poison is released on March 12th 2013.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review. And it's so sad that Bridget died before her book was released. I'm glad so many people are shouting out about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyra sounds like a great character to read about being so strong! Sad about the author.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had the pleasure of reading this as an ARC. I liked it. Very cute story. I only had one complaint, that it felt as if it should have been a middle grade rather than YA book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, I think younger kids would like this as much as older teens ☺

      Delete
  4. Is Rosie the little pig on the cover? I think I'll have to get the book just to see what Rosie is up to in the story. Great review, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this one too! Loved Fred and the pig too :)

    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this one, it sounds really awesome! I love that the main character was a strong character and the the dialog flowed well! Also, Rosie the pig sounds adorable! :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so looking for a fresh read. This sounds awesome. So happy it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really looking forward to reading this book. I've had it on my wishlist for some time. It sounds great!! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really looking forward to reading this! So sad the author isn't around to see the success of her book, but I think it's awesome that it was still released.

    ReplyDelete