Wednesday, 13 March 2013

MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1) by Debra Driza



MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Mila 2.0 is the first book in an electrifying sci-fi thriller series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is an experiment in artificial intelligence.

Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past —that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.

Mila 2.0 is Debra Driza’s bold debut and the first book in a Bourne Identity-style trilogy that combines heart-pounding action with a riveting exploration of what it really means to be human. Fans of I Am Number Four will love Mila for who she is and what she longs to be—and a cliffhanger ending will leave them breathlessly awaiting the sequel.



MILA 2.0 by Debra Driza

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins Publishers and Edelweiss.)
16-year-old Mila’s life has been turned upside down by her father’s death and then moving away for her mothers work. But things are about to get even crazier when Mila discovers that she’s not human, and her memories, including those of her father are all fake.

Mila is actually ‘Mobile Intel Lifelike Android’ and her life is not her own. The government body that created her wants her back, and they’ll stop at nothing to get her.

With only her mum, and herself to depend on, can Mila evade the people who want to catch her? How many other people are after her? And will she ever be free?


This book wasn’t exactly what I was expecting, but I liked it!

This book starts off reading like a contemporary romance, and then some odd things start happening. What made this book so good was how human Mila was though. Even though she’s told she’s an android and she’s not really human, she is. Mila is so human, and her emotions are real, and believing that she’s an android is not easy, even with proof, because she just seems so normal! I totally got why she was so bewildered by the whole thing because I was right there along with her.

I loved how Mila felt about her mother. I know her emotions and memories were supposed to be fake, but Mila continued to fight for her mother, and love her mother even when she was told that it was all a lie. This was just more proof for me of how human Mila really was, because surely an android can’t love? I know in a lot of books when someone finds out that their parent(s) are not their biological parent(s) they rebel or turn against them, but Mila never did this, meaning that she must have developed feelings of her own towards her mother in the short time they had together.

I really liked Hunter (the love interest at the beginning). He was such a sweetheart, and I thought that he and Mila were so sweet together. I was a little apprehensive at times as to whether Mila could really trust him, but we’ll have to wait and see if I’m right to be apprehensive!
Again though, Mila’s feelings towards Hunter were something that she developed on her own, another thing to show that her feelings and emotions were anything but android.

I liked the storyline in this book, although I liked the beginning a little more than the end. By the end of the book I was getting a little tired of the chase (as I’m sure was Mila), and I was desperately hoping that Mila could get away from her pursuers and be left alone. There were some sad moments in this book as well as the action, and I did feel for Mila at times.
I can see why this book has been compared to the ‘Bourne Identity’ series as there is certainly no lack of action, with car chases and the lack of clarity for Mila over exactly what she is.
Things calmed down a little at the end, although it is obvious that Mila’s story will be continued in the next instalment. It will be interesting to see what happens to poor Mila next!

Overall; this book had romance, feeling, mystery, androids, and plenty of action!
7.5 out of 10.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great story. I have an ARC that I'm hoping to read soon, especially after reading your review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard there was a lot of action, so I'm glad to hear you loved that part! I would be happy with a Bourne-style story. I was a little apprehensive about the android part of it since I've had some kind of bland books like that lately, but I'm very happy that you thought Mila came off very well. Excellent review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I'm glad you liked it even though it wasn't what you were expecting. Mila 2.0 is on my TBR list and I'm hoping to read it soon but now I will have to keep in mind that the beginning may be better than the end..I like my books with strong endings though so I am a tiny bit hesitant.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it. I really liked Hunter too and was wondering for a while why we got to be attached to him to have him disappear.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling he might show up again!

      Delete
  5. I have no idea what to think about this one, the reviews are all over the place. I am glad to hear you enjoyed it, though and I am encouraged. I have this coming up on my blog next Monday so I will be reading it in the next couple of days. I am hoping for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to get my hands on this one. The point about her humanity that you bring up reminds me of Blade Runner, one more reason why I want to read it :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this one but I agree that the beginning was more like PNR and the end was more like an action movie. Curious to see what they do with it on TV.

    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read the book but from the reviews that I've read, I got the impression that the chase seemed to be never-ending. Looked like you felt the same way too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy you ended up liking this one. It is an odd book, that's for sure. I loved Hunter in the beginning and how we weren't sure if we could trust him. And Mila's relationship with her mother and how she felt about her, I totally got it.

    You said it right, this book is not what most will expect but it's still good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little Miss Action-Junkie over here is intrigued! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did like this one in the end. It took some time getting started but once it got going the action was non-stop. I'm eager for the sequel. Hopefully more questions will be answered.

    ReplyDelete