Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Instinct by J.A. Garland

Instinct
Blurb (fromGoodreads):
Lone wolf, Rory Archer, never failed a single mission. Now the hunted instead of the hunter, Rory unwinds a twisted trail leading back to Amber Arlington, a spirited Halfling tied to a world of Shadows. Bound to vows initially forged out of necessity, Rory and Amber's relationship surges into more than either of them bargained on. Scrambling to identify their attacker before joining the casualty list, Rory is faced with doing the unthinkable, or watching Amber become a slave for his species.

Instinct by J.A. Garland

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Instinct(Source: I received a digital copy of this book as a gift from the author. Thanks to J. A. Garland.)
Rory Archer is a werewolf, he’s also a tracker, and someone just tried to kill him.

Making it his mission to find out who at the agency gave away the details of his assignment, and sent someone to kill him, Rory contacts his friend Grace who works for the agency. When Rory gets a name – Yarra, he decides that the best way to get close to her is her best friend Amber, but he doesn’t expect Amber to be hiding a secret also.

When things go from bad to worse and it seems like the same vampires who were after him are also after Amber, Rory must find a way to keep both of them safe, and to put an end to this once and for all.
Why does Yarra want to kill him though? What do the vampires want? And can Rory spot the Trojan horse before it’s too late?


This was an interesting urban fantasy adventure, and I liked the thrill of wondering when the Trojan horse in their midst’s would strike, I did find some of the plotline confusing though.

Rory was a likeable character, as was Amber. I liked the romance and attraction between the pair, and I thought they worked well together. I liked the little twist in the tale when we found out that Amber had her own secret, and I liked how this fitted in with the rest of the storyline. There were sex scenes in this book but they were tasteful rather than erotic, and I thought this fitted in with the rest of the story pretty well.

I did keep up with the storyline for most of the book, although I found some bits a little confusing. The end also confused me. When the end happened it seemed to happen really fast, and I had real trouble working out what was going on, and who was involved in which plot. I also had trouble working out how people got to where they were, and the relevance of certain information. After reading through it a second time, it was a little clearer, although I was a little disappointed that we didn’t witness first-hand the unveiling of the Trojan horse.

Overall; this was an interesting urban fantasy, and I liked the Trojan horse, I did get a little confused in certain places though.
6.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. There were parts of this book that confused me too. It was just okay overall.

    ReplyDelete