Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Every Day by David Levithan



Every Day
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.


Every Day by David Levithan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Every Day(Source: I won a copy of this book. Thanks to Rachel and Jasprit @ The Readers Den!)
Every Day, A. wakes up in someone else’s body. He doesn’t know who he’ll wake up as, he doesn’t know who he’ll be tomorrow, and so that’s how he lives – jumping from one body to the next, never forming relationships or friendships.

One day A. wakes up as Justin. It is an average day, he goes to school, and there he meets Rhiannon – Justin’s girlfriend. A. skips school to be with Rhiannon and they go to the beach. During this one perfect day, he falls in love with her, and when the next day he wakes up as someone else, all he can think about is her.

A. then begins finding ways to visit Rhiannon each day, and tells her his secret. He wants to have a relationship with her, but Justin is still her boyfriend, and he never knows who he’ll be from one day to the next.
Can Rhiannon ever learn to love and accept A. no matter which body he is in? Is it fair of him to expect her to? And can they ever have a real relationship?
-

I did enjoy this book, but I can’t say I was happy with the ending.

This is an interesting story, and one that is very thought provoking, but ultimately I couldn’t see a happy ending on the cards. While A. was a nice enough person, it was difficult to see how he really thought he could have a real relationship with anyone while this body switching continued to happen. I thought that maybe the reason why this happened to him might have been touched upon, and whether there was any way to stop it, but it was hardly mentioned. Also, if this has happened to him for as long as he can remember – did he ever have a body of his own? Is he a ghost? Again, very little explanation.

I liked Rhiannon, I think she was probably my favourite character. I liked how she accepted A. for who he was, and even tried to have a relationship with him, and I appreciated her honesty.

The different characters that A. woke up as were fairly mixed, and several different issues were hit upon. The storyline as a whole was interesting one, but I just thought certain points weren’t touched upon or explored as much as they could be.
The ending was probably my least favourite part. Although A. does do something for Rhiannon which shows his character, I didn’t think that the ending was an ending at all. I felt like we could have done with something else actually happening! The ending was just a bit of a dead end. It was like the author got to a point and then said, ‘can’t think what to do next, so we’ll just end it here’. Did he reach the word count he was going for and then just stop? This was seriously what it felt like to me, which was a disappointing end to what started as a promising story.

Overall; I loved the idea, but I think more could have been done with it to make this a really great story.
6.5 out of 10.


4 comments:

  1. Personally I thought that the ending was perfect and poignant! (Argh, can't talk about it without spoiling it haha). It didn't really seem incomplete to me, it seemed more as if the message was "life goes on" (if that makes sense at all...) And I think that he does acknowledge that a relationship would be difficult, but he was so lonely (as you probably would be) that he wanted to try and give true love a shot (so to speak) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean, I think I'm just picky about endings. I just felt like there was still so much more to explore.

      Delete
  2. I hate endings like that. This does sound interesting but knowing it has a dead end ending ruins it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending did ruin it for me. I just felt like more could have been done with the story.

      Delete