Tuesday, 26 February 2013

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1) by Aimee Carter



The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...


The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)(Source: Purchased on kindle from amazon.co.uk for only 99p.)
Kate is moving to a small village called Eden with her dying mother. Her mother grew up there, and wants to go back there before she dies. Kate however is going to have to start over at the school there, and make new friends, all while trying to cope with her mother’s illness and impending death.

When Kate first arrives in Eden, she is nearly run off the road by a cow, and then discovers that the house that they have rented has a leaking roof.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, one of the girls at her new school – Ava, seems to take an instant dislike to her, although Ava ends up the worst off playing a cruel prank on Kate, but accidentally killing herself in the process!!

When a man (Henry) approaches Kate as she is trying desperately to revive Ava, and offers to bring her back to life as long as Kate does him a favour, Kate agrees not knowing what the favour is.
When she later finds out that the favour turns out to be living with this strange man for 6 months of the year, every year, Kate turns him down, only to find out that Ava is dead the next day.

Feeling guilty, Kate seeks Henry out and says that she will accept his proposal, although it is now too late to save Ava. Instead Henry offers to give her mother a little longer to live in exchange for Kate staying with him. There is more than Kate has to learn though when Henry tells her that he is god of the underworld, and that he is looking for a replacement queen. Kate is set to be this replacement, but first she must pass 7 tests.
What are these tests? What happens if Kate fails? And what happens if she passes?


This book was good overall, and were so many twist and turns I never knew what was coming next, but parts of it irritated me.

It’s difficult to know where to start with this book! The story changes so much from beginning to end, and even when you get to the end you find out that things that you read at the beginning turn out to be not completely true, and the story is changed all over again! These twists and turns just happened all over the place from beginning to end, and like I said, there were even twists at the end that retwisted the twists at the beginning (seriously).

At the 40% mark in this book I was beginning to think that I wasn’t going to like this book. Kate just seemed to accept what was going on far too easily, and even though she was told that Henry’s 11 previous girlfriends had been murdered, she didn’t seem to take the threat to her life seriously at all. She also worried about things that I didn’t think should be at the top of her list of priorities, never mind that her mother is dying, she’s set to become queen of the underworld, and someone is trying to kill her, no; what’s terrible is that she has to attend a ball!
At one point I did think that Kate was actually going to find her feet, stand her ground, and stop being quite so sappy and whiney, but that seemed to be a bit of a blip.

At this point I also thought that Kate’s mother was being a bit selfish. I understood that she was dying, but I didn’t think it very fair to make Kate, who was obviously having trouble coming to terms with her mother’s impending demise, move to a place in the middle of nowhere, where she had no friends and no support network!

As I got further into this book, and the twists kept coming, these above observations did change as the story changed, but I can’t say too much without dropping spoilers. I will say that Kate does improve quite a bit before the end of the book, but she is still a little immature.
One thing that doesn’t change throughout the book though is Kate’s inability to say the word ‘sex’. I mean, she can’t even say it; she refers to it as ‘that’. I thought this was totally unnecessary, and only made Kate seem even more immature and na├»ve.

As for the mythology aspect of this book, I have to say that I am a complete Greek mythology virgin, and have absolutely no idea how well this book stuck to the myths or names of the Gods or anything, so I’m afraid I have to plead complete ignorance here. I liked the storyline, and it made sense, I just honestly have nothing else to compare it to.

Overall; I did enjoy this book, although the ending where everything was revealed and we finally had the whole story was definitely the best part of the book. I was pleased that this book had a real ending rather than a cliff-hanger, so that if you didn’t like this instalment, you don’t have to read the next one. I personally am interested to see where Kate and Henry’s story will go from here though.
7.5 out of 10.



 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. Aimee lives near me and I've been thinking I need to pick up this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really on the fence about this one. There were some things that drove me bonkers and some things I really liked. I think I want to read the next two book's, though. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really am happy you ended up liking this series.

    ReplyDelete