Tuesday, 26 February 2013

The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3) (ARC) by Aimee Carter



The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Love or life.
Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.


During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.



The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter

My rating: 4.25 out of 5 stars


The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin and Netgalley.)
This is book 3 in the ‘Goddess Test’ series, and kicks off 9 months after the end of book 2 ‘Goddess Interrupted’. **Warning – contains some unavoidable spoilers for books 1 and 2**
Kate has been being held captive by Cronus and Calliope for the past nine months, since she discovered that she was pregnant and was kidnapped. Now Kate is about to give birth, and she can’t help but be scared that Calliope will kill her baby.

Henry has no idea that Kate has been kidnapped, he has been led to believe by Walter that Kate is searching for Rhea as she planned, and so when he eventually finds out he is enraged.

Once Kate’s baby is born, he is taken away from her by Calliope, and in trying to rescue both Kate and baby; Henry is mortally wounded. It is left to Kate to try and rescue both her family, and the rest of the world, even if it means sacrificing herself to do it.
Is there any way for Kate to get her family back? What exactly does Cronus want from her? And will she ever get to hold her new-born baby the way she wants to?


This was a good book, quite possibly the best of the series.

Firstly I have to give the author credit for getting straight into the action with this book. The book picks up 9 months after the end of book 2, which means that we practically open with Kate giving birth – if only all pregnancies went that quick! This action continues on, and we get a lot happening in a short time, which is fab!

Kate stays strong in this book, even though everyone she loves is in danger at one point or another, and keeps going, no matter what obstacles stand in her way. Henry is also a much more likeable character in this book than in the second, and I liked how he finally was open with Kate and admitted his feelings for her. I also liked how honest and supportive he was, and how invested he also was in his son’s life. I also liked the way that Kate also had James to rely on, which was support that she needed.

I think my favourite part of this book was the love, Kate’s love for her child, her love for Henry, her love for her family and friends, and even her love for the human race in general. I did think that having a baby would change Kate, and that she would be a different person in this book, but that wasn’t the case at all. Obviously being magically healed after giving birth, and not being kept up at night by a screaming baby makes a real difference to a new mum!
This love really makes this story though, and the way the characters talk so openly, and deal with so much, and still come out the other side with love in their hearts is truly beautiful.

This book followed in the footsteps of the first two with its twists and turns, not as many as in the first book, but enough to keep you on your toes, and enough to make you keep guessing. There was plenty of tension and mystery, and once again Kate was the underdog in the fight.
The addition of a baby isn’t a storyline that is done all that much in YA books, which made this an interesting change, but I’m not sure everyone will appreciate why Kate loved her baby so much. I personally as a teen thought babies were cute, but would have had no idea what it actually felt like to have and love a child, so it will be interesting to see what some actual teens think to this storyline.

The ending was full of action too, and once again the twists and turns come into play. I liked the ending, there was danger, excitement, and unexpected deaths, and the story was finished both believably and satisfyingly, although there was a very small opening for a possible spin-off series!

Overall; this was a great finale to the series, and in my opinion the best so far. Full of action, excitement, and a truly beautiful love story.
8.5 out of 10.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery 
  'The Goddess Inheritance' will be released on February 26th 2013.

9 comments:

  1. Okay, so I skipped the review because I saw it has spoilers for book 2, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, nooooo. Now I have to buy it! I was wondering if the last book was worth finishing the trilogy out (I didn't particularly like #2) and it sounds like it is. Wonderful review, except for the parts that have made me have to have it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were able to enjoy this one. This series is not for me though. I tried but just couldn't get behind the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you enjoyed it more than me. I agree that Kate has so much love for her baby, it's endearing. It is the best book of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had this series on my tbr for forever! I guess I just need to pick it up and get it read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa -- Kate's pregnant? I am waaay behind in this series.
    Thanks for participating in Hot Off the Presses this week!

    HOP

    ReplyDelete
  7. II don't know why I haven't checked out this series. I guess it is a case of the first book was not a big wow book, but it sounds like this series really grew and ended up with a nice finish. I agree you don't really see babies popping up in YA books. One of these days I will try this series

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that Kate stays strong and that its a good ending, and best in series.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete