Friday, 8 February 2013

Slated (Slated, #1) by Teri Terry



Slated (Slated, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?


Slated by Teri Terry

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Slated (Slated, #1)(Source: I won a copy of this book! Thanks to Jenny from ‘Chocolate Chunky Monkie’, and Orchard Books.)
It’s been 9 months since 16-year-old Kyla was slated (a process that strips you of your memories). She’s learned to walk and talk again, and now it’s time for her to leave the hospital with her new foster parents.

Kyla is different though, unlike all the other mindless ‘slateds’, Kyla asks questions she shouldn’t, and has trouble keeping her monitoring device (Levo) in the ‘safe’ zone (Slateds are supposed to be ‘level’ – not too happy or too sad).

Kyla slowly adapts to the new life that she has been given, but the ‘Lorders’ (the men who maintain the peace), scare her, and she begins to question things even more when people she knows are taken away by the Lorders never to return.

Luckily, Kyla does make friends with another slater – Ben, and also has her slated sister Amy, and her new mom looking out for her.
What exactly is happening though? Why was Kyla slated? And why is she different?


I liked this book, although for a lot of it I felt like I was trapped in the dark with Kyla.

Kyla knew very little, but had a thirst for knowledge that made her different from the other ‘slateds’. She didn’t know why she was slated, and she wasn’t sure she that she wanted to know, although she did know that not everyone who had been slated had had it done to them legally.

I liked the way that Kyla used art as an escape, and how she often learned things by drawing, and then working out what the drawings meant. Kyla had a very active mind for someone who had been slated, as it seemed that the other ‘slateds’ were a little ditzy and clueless, which wasn’t really Kyla at all.
Being slated seems a bit of a scary prospect, although I’m sure plenty of people would love to have the option to forget about their current lives and start over fresh. To do this to someone without their consent is truly despicable though, although I suppose it is slightly better than executing them.

I liked the storyline in this book, although I did think it was quite slowly paced. This was quite a long book at nearly 450 pages, but a lot of it was taken up with Kyla’s reintroduction into society, rather than what was actually going on with regard to people being slated, and the ‘Lorders’.

What I did want more information on was why exactly certain people were taken. I never really understood why one of Kyla’s classmates was taken, and I didn’t really get it when a teacher was then taken, purely for making comment about the classmate being taken. Not really sure why this was such a problem? It seemed that anybody could be taken at any moment on a whim, and it just wasn’t obvious enough what exactly the government were trying to hide, why they took these people, and what their overall game-plan was.
Kyla did find out some information regarding her own slating, but not enough to really tell her what happened, or what was supposed to happen, although I’m hoping we find out more about this in the sequel.

Kyla and Ben’s relationship felt a little odd to me, but I think that was mostly because Ben was a little slater-ish and ditzy at times which sort of put me off him a bit. It was nice to see how different Ben, and Kyla’s adopted sister Amy were compared to Kyla, as Kyla really did seem to behave differently to the other ‘slateds’.

Thankfully the action seemed to step up in the last 50ish pages, and things happened that I wasn’t expecting. Something else happened that I had kind-of guessed at (there were hints throughout the book), but we were left with loads of unanswered questions at the end.

Overall; this book had an interesting premise, but the pace felt a little slow to me. I would be interested to find out what happens to Kyla in the sequel, but I’m not desperate to read it, if you know what I mean.
7 out of 10.


 


 

6 comments:

  1. Aww, sorry it was a bit slow for you, but Kyla esp using her art as an escape and questioning everything makes her sounds like fun to read about.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't heard of this book before, but it sounds interesting. Sorry it felt a bit slow to you. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know there was a lot of hype before this one released and I thought it sounded really good, but the reviews were just average. I think the premise sounds great but I have heard the slow pace and lack of detail really held this one back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though it doesn't sound perfect, it seems like you enjoyed it a lot anyways. I love the scary concept. I want to read this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I definitely know what you mean about the sequel! There are very few sequels which I actually NEED. (But the ones I do, I need desperately!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review sounds like this book was pretty good. You mentioned something about Kyla's "new mom"? That sounded like it was crypted, now I'm even more intrigued!!

    ReplyDelete