Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Skinny: A Novel by Laura L. Smith


Skinny: A Novel
Teenager Melissa Rollins has got the eye of the cute new guy in school. The one thing Melissa doesn’t have is a perfect body. Strict dieting and throwing up can’t be all bad, can they?









Skinny: A Novel by Laura L. Smith

My rating: 5.5 out of 10 stars


Skinny: A Novel(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)
Melissa is a dancer in high school. All she wants is to compete to be one of the captains of the dance team, and to be skinny. No matter what she eats, or doesn’t eat, she’s still fat.

When try-outs start for captain of the dance team, Melissa tries even harder to limit what she eats, but dancing as well as keeping up with her homework begins to take its toll, and when her boyfriend breaks up with her, she takes the next step and binges and purges.
How long can Melissa hide her food problems from her family and friends? How long can she go on for without eating properly? And how will not eating affect her dancing?


I enjoyed this book. It was interesting to read how Melissa’s mind worked, and how she stopped herself from eating. It also made me check my own eating habits, although I am nowhere near as bad as Melissa.

Melissa really did become overly obsessed with what she was eating, and counting calories meticulously, as well as just avoiding some foods altogether. It even got to the point where she was reducing the amount of toothpaste she used, and not using her body lotion because it contained cocoa butter and she didn’t want the calories from that!

What I wasn’t expecting in this book was the ‘Christian’ thing. I had no idea that this author wrote Christian books when I started reading this, and it was unexpected when the main character started praying to god to stop her from eating and stuff!
The praying I could look past, but when her mother started lecturing her and telling her that Jesus was her friend and would listen to her, it got old fast.

This book isn’t bad, it’s okay (for free), but there are some religious bits in it that a lot of people won’t appreciate.
5.5 out of 10.

  

7 comments:

  1. Hmm, I prefer my books without religion myself, and I would probably feel the same way as you. Still, not bad for a free book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm with you and Aylee. I prefer for my books not to have a preachiness vibe to them, and it sounds like this one kind of gets to that point. Religion is fine, but just don't preach to me! ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this was christian either. But it probably wouldn't bother me unless WAY too outright because I believe the same thing. I can totally understand though going in and not expecting that.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. The topic of the book (eating disorders/negative self images and such) can always make for an interesting story line. I don't even mind reading books by christian authors, as long as I know that going into it. The reason I don't mind so much is because it does give a different writing approach and I do like to change up my reading styles a bit. However the heads up is always good cause it's hard to downshift from 50 Shades of Grey to a book like this if my mind isn't prepared for it. I like your review, it was honest and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an emotional book but I am not into the religious stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...to read or not to read? That is the question...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review. It doesn't sound my kind of book. I appreciate how honest you were in your review.

    ReplyDelete