Saturday, 16 February 2013

Rogue Hunter: Inquest by Kevis Hendrickson

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Rogue Hunter: Inquest
LUST AND FURY COLLIDE IN A GALAXY ON THE VERGE OF WAR.

Fearing retribution from ruthless gangsters over an unsettled debt, intergalactic bounty hunter Zyra Zanr ventures to a distant world to collect the reward for Boris Skringler, a notorious terrorist, who has been sentenced to death by political rivals of the InterGalactic Alliance. When she fails to secure his release, she decides to break him out of prison. Zyra soon finds herself an unwilling participant in events that lead to a climactic showdown between the most powerful worlds in the galaxy.

Torn between her desperation to rid herself of the threats to her life and her guilt in agitating the conflict between two galactic superpowers, Zyra is horrified to learn that the lives of an entire world of people hinge on her ability to return Skringler to his captors. However, her distrust of Skringler gives way to lust, unraveling her plans. Will Zyra give into her passion and allow Skringler to go free? Or will she surrender him to her enemies to stop an impending war? The fate of billions depend on whether she chooses life for a killer or the death of her lover.


Rogue Hunter: Inquest by Kevis Hendrickson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Rogue Hunter: Inquest(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kevis Hendrickson.)
Bounty Hunter Zyra Zanr is in prison, charged with trying to aid a mans escape from execution. Now it’s her head on the chopping block.

The criminal – Skringler, is set to be killed for once reason – he is male. Venus is now an all-female planet, after the queen decided that men were to blame for all the war and killing etc. that had gone on, and shipped all the men off the planet.
Skringler disguised as a woman, infiltrated the planet in a bid to avoid being caught by the InterGalactic Alliance, who also wanted to execute him for his crimes, and obviously got caught out there for being a man.

Zyra doesn’t think that it’s right that Skringler should be executed for being a man, she wants to take him back to the InterGalactic Alliance, where he will be executed for killing loads of people. She would also very much like to claim the large bounty on his head.
Can Zyra really get Skringler out of there though? And who will get hurt in the process?


This story opens with Zyra facing trial for her part in Skringlers escape. Zyra felt that it wasn’t fair to execute him for being male, and that he should be executed for all the people he killed. She expected the queen to just hand him over, which obviously wasn’t going to happen. She even went so far as to tell the queen of the Vesuvians that her laws were wrong!

Zyra’s motivations weren’t the purest though. She was pretty annoyed that her credits (money) had been stolen, and wanted to get it back by claiming the bounty on Skringlers head. She did intend to do this peacefully though, and didn’t want to add to her kill count.

I have to say that I hadn’t really gathered from the blurb that the planet of Venus was women only, and that when Zyra got there she would meet up with her girlfriend and have a bit of a steamy encounter! Another new one for me this year!

Overall; this book had elements of sci-fi, ideas on the battle of the sexes, and a big fight scene at the end. Think star-trek, but with more women.
6.5 out of 10.


 

(Don't forget to enter my goodreads friends giveaway - win a book of your choice from book depository) 

7 comments:

  1. Hmm this definitely sounds like a different kind of read for me. It's interesting that the planet is all women, wonder how they keep that going? Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This concept sound really different from anything i've read. could be kind of neat. Star Trek for woman! >.< My husband's dad would love to see me read this! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a incorrigible SciFi geek so "LUST AND FURY COLLIDE IN A GALAXY ON THE VERGE OF WAR" got my attention. Thanks sharing your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I mentioned the steamy encounter, but I think I mentioned the all women planet and a way to reproduce in my review. I just skimmed over it and I guess I forgot about it.
    I realy liked this. Something different and I liked Zyra being a little self- absorbed.
    The story was engaging and the writing was good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, yeah I didn't get that from the blurb. Sounds kinda fun overall though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Men are to blame for *all* the killig and wars and stuff? Has this queen never heard of Boudicca or Isabella of Castille or Mary Tudor? Sorry, I just get hyped up about sexism...

    I think it's hilarious that Zyra wants to save this guy so he can be killed by somebody else. There just seems to be something ironic about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A women only planet...what kind of nightmare is that? just teasing! So the book blurb sounds alright but your review makes me hesitant. It kind of gives me that "man hater" type of vibe. I'm not into sexism type of books from a womans view or a mans.

    ReplyDelete