Thursday, 14 February 2013

Rapunzel Untangled (ARC) by Cindy C. Bennett

Rapunzel Untangled
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Rapunzel is not your average teenager.

For one thing, she has a serious illness that keeps her inside the mysterious Gothel Mansion. And for another, her hair is 15 feet long. Not to mention that she’s also the key to ultimately saving the world from certain destruction. But then she meets a boy named Fane, who changes all she has ever known, and she decides to risk everything familiar to find out who she really is.

Filled with romance, adventure, and mystery, Rapunzel Untangled is one story you won’t want to put down. Discover the true meaning of love and friendship in this modern twist to the classic fairytale.


Rapunzel Untangled by Cindy C. Bennett

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Rapunzel Untangled(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Cedar Fort, Inc and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Rapunzel lives alone in a tower. Her mother lives in the house attached to the tower, and visits her every day.

Rapuzel has an immune deficiency problem called SCIDs, which means that she is unable to leave her tower. But one day, Rapunzel sends a friend request to a boy (Fane) on facebook, which he accepts. The pair start talking, and when Rapunzel’s mother goes away on a business trip, Fane climbs Rapunzel’s tower and visits her.

The pair develop feelings for each other, and Fane visits as often as possible. Slowly, Rapunzel begins to do things that she has never done before – leaving her tower, feeling the grass for the first time, sneaking out to a party, and her first kiss!

Rapunzel has so many questions though, and she’s not happy with the answers her mother gives her. She wants to leave her tower, and lead a normal life, but her mother won’t let her.
Will Rapunzel ever make it out of the tower? What secrets is her mother hiding from her? And can Rapunzel and Fane ever have a real relationship?


Having seen the Disney version of this story about a million times, it’s one that I know well, and this was a good retelling.

Rapunzel is quite shy and na├»ve, which I suppose is to be expected considering her history. She’s brave enough to leave her tower though, and to maybe make her life better. She wasn’t stupid enough to think that there wouldn’t be repercussions for her behaviour though, and also tried to reduce the risk to herself whilst doing her ‘risky’ behaviour.

I liked Fane and how he tried to find new things for Rapunzel to experience, even the little things like bringing her M&M’s! The easy friendship between the two was sweet also.

The storyline in this book was pretty obvious – as expected from a retelling, but the details were slightly different, which made this retelling special in its own way. I had gotten a little sick of Mother Gothel by the end, but I expect that was sort-of the point!
Overall; a entertaining retelling of Rapunzel.
6.75 out of 10.


 

Rapunzel Untangled was released on February 12th 2013. 

5 comments:

  1. I've seen TANGLED quite a few times myself! This looks like it could be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't actually seen Disney version, but sure I will as daughter gets older.
    This looks like potential.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like fairytale re-tellings. Thanks for the review, I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still think it sounds cute and I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the books on my TBR list, I really want a physical copy of it though because I love the cover. I love retellings so I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I will like this one. Thank you for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete