Monday, 11 February 2013

Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) by Kasie West



Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.


Pivot Point by Kasie West

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins Publishers, and Edelweiss.)
Addie has a special ability – she is Divergent. That means that she can see into the future, but only her own future, and only when she has a very definite decision to make.

Addie lives in a compound, which is hidden from the outside world, where people with gifts live. Her friends all have abilities as well, but they are all different – not everyone has the same ability as Addie.

When Addie’s parents tell her that they are getting a divorce, she uses her gift to see her future, both staying with her mother, or leaving with her father.
Which life will she choose though? And can knowing the future really help?


This book was okay, but the middle was just too slow.

About 40% of the way through this book, it was starting to irritate me. I realised when I started getting into it, that the story after the divorce is announced, alternates chapters from one destiny, and then the other. So what we are reading is actually two stories – one if Addie stays with her mom, and one if Addie moves with her dad.
As interesting as this was, I felt like I was reading something that might be, rather than something that was! This just irritated me, because I felt like we were stuck in one moment. Addie comments that it will probably take her 5 minutes to look ahead at the two different outcomes depending on her choice, so I just felt like we were stuck in those 5 minutes forever! I just wanted her to get on with it, and actually start living her life, rather than thinking about it. This may be a bit harsh, but this was just how I felt. It was like reading about somebody else’s daydreams.

Thankfully, the story picked up a bit more towards the end. At around 80% it actually got interesting, and I actually began to feel the mystery element of ‘which path will Addie choose?’.

Personally, when Addie makes the choice, I don’t agree with it. I don’t want to drop spoilers so I won’t say exactly what happens, but I personally would have picked the other path, and tried to change some things. Addie admits herself at the beginning that the future is not set in stone and can be changed, so I don’t know why she didn’t just take this option, rather than living out the path she least wanted to take.

Brought down to basics, this book is basically about a girl making a decision whether to live with her mom or dad after a divorce. The mental abilities of Addie and her friends obviously added a little to the story, but I just felt like the story wasn’t going anywhere a lot of the time, and I just wanted something else to be happening! There were a couple of other storylines going on within the two paths, but the whole thing just felt too slow.
I’m not sure where the next book in this series will go, but I really hope it’s not just Addie trying to make one decision all over again.
7 out of 10.


 

Pivot Point is due for release on February 12th 2013. 

14 comments:

  1. I've seen this book everywhere as of late and I really wished I had requested a copy when I had the chance. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it for the most part! Great review Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I enjoyed this one a lot more than you did. I was down with her character and decisions. But thank you so much for the honest review.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a frustrating read! I hate it when I'm yelling at the characters to just get on with it. :) I'm sorry you didn't like this one as much as you hoped. Great honest review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review and cover as well. The setting sounds good as well. Thanks, Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished this one like 10 mins ago aha. I really enjoyed it. I didn't feel it was slow for me but there were a few time logic issues I had with it. Still a 4 stars for me though. Glad you enjoyed it, chickie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading this one. The premise sounds just like the book I'd like. I'm glad you enjoyed the second half of the book tough. :))
    Great review!

    Anatea @ Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read many positive reviews on this one and then a few like you had issues with this one. I really like the premise so I am thinking I need to check this out for myself. Glad it picked up and finished strong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm, I am conflicted with this book now. You gave it a pretty good rating but it sounds boring. I am reading it in a week. I hope i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this yet but looks like Addie could be trying to delay the inevitable for the most part of the story and it seems that you didn't feel like agreeing with her. I'll have to get hold of the book to see it for myself but I appreciate you sharing your view with us. Thank you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another one I'm on the fence about. Not sure if I like the prospect of being stuck in the same five minutes for 40% of a book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm on the fence too. Not sure this is my kind of story and there are so many books out there. Thanks for your helpful review Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to read this book. I'm sorry that the middle was slow for you and that you didn't like the path she chose at the end. Great review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, I have this book on my TBR list but after reading your review I'm a little worried I may not like it. I think after I read the book description when I first heard of it, I was thinking it was going to be a little more intense and a little different from what your review describes. I'm not so much in to characters that spend most of the book being indecisive. I guess with a decision such as living with your mum or your dad it could be a hard choice but I'm not sure I want to read a book that has such a large portion of it dedicated to the same five minutes.
    Thank you so much for your honest review, gives me something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is also on my TBR pile, and after hearing good things I had moved it up, maybe it's time to put it a little lower.

    ReplyDelete