Wednesday, 30 January 2013

The Water Witch (Fairwick Chronicles #2) (ARC) by Carol Goodman

Blurb (from Goodreads):The Water Witch (Fairwick Chronicles, #2)
"You have only to call my name to bring me back", he whispered, his breath hot in my ear. "You have only to love me to make me human". 
Callie McFay is the guardian of the last gateway between the world of Faerie and mankind. Seduced by a powerful incubus demon, she has succeeded in banishing Liam to the Borderlands but he still haunts her dreams, tempting her with the knowledge of how to bring him back. But loving an incubus usually ends in death for a human. For her own sake Callie must learn to control her desires and ensure Liam remains trapped for all eternity in his watery prison. Only there is a more dangerous creature than Liam in the Borderlands. The Water Witch is also looking for a way back...


The Water Witch by Carol Goodman

My rating: 3.5 out of 10 stars


The Water Witch (Fairwick Chronicles, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Random House Publishing Group – Ballantine, and Netgalley.)
This is the second book in the ‘Fairwick Chronicles’ series, and picks up 4 months after the end of book 1.) **Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘The Demon Lover’**
At the end of book 1 Callie banished her boyfriend Liam, (who turned out to be incubus) to the borderlands of Faerie, and is now getting on with her life.

The problem in Fairwick this time is that the ‘Grove’ are trying to permanently close the last door to faerie, which means that those faeries still in this world would die, and those in faerie would be unable to come back.

Obviously the faeries are in uproar, and the witches are in uproar, and everyone is generally pretty hacked off.
….

I’m not even sure I can bring myself to finish writing the summary for this book. I just had so many issues with it, not least of all that it was so dull! And Callie just made some stupid decisions. I gave the first book the benefit of the doubt – it wasn’t a favourite, but it was okay. This one was definitely not better. In fact, I had trouble finishing it. I was actually finding other things to do instead of reading it! It was totally one of those sort of books!

So what didn’t I like? Anybody who saw my status updates on Goodreads, will have caught a few of these already, but here goes.

Firstly; Callie is off to open another gate (yes – there is only 1 gate to faerie (the one in book 1), but conveniently there is also a second gate – just for the undines in the water to pass through) - Why say that there is only 1 gate to faerie, and then go and invent another one! Check your own story here for heaven’s sake!

Secondly – Callie goes to open said second gate, gets dragged into the water by the undines, and goes for an underwater swim through to fairie. Hang on a minute – Callie is human-ish –surely she needs to breathe? How many people can ride underground streams without drowning? Come on!

Thirdly; once Callie makes it through to fairy, she bumps into said ex-boyfriend – Liam the incubus who was killing her, and who she banished to the boarder-lands of faerie for good. So what does Callie do? Obviously, she unchains him, and has sex with him on the river bank. Exactly what every girl in their right mind would do. NOT. Why go to the trouble of banishing him, to then immediately unshackle him and have sex with him. Give me a break.

Fourthly; when Callie gets back from Faerie, she finds that the storm created by one of the undines knocked her handy man off her roof and killed him. Do they arrange a burial? A cremation? No, they decide that his spirit is hovering nearby, and they’ll try and put it back in his body. So do they get to it? No, they decide to wait 24 hours, just because. Sorry, but either let the bloke die or do something now. Can you say brain damage????

Fifthly, god this is getting old. When they then decide to put said spirit back in its body, they decide to let Callie join the circle, even though her magic is ‘untrained and volatile’. Great idea when you’re trying to un-kill somebody. And then, when everything goes wrong (I wasn’t surprised), they decide to hire someone to teach Callie, so hire someone they’ve never met, who tries to teach her to shapeshift. I mean seriously, that’s where every witch in training should start eh? Shapeshifting? What happened to lighting sticks on fire, and taking petals off a flower or something. I mean, Callie is enough trouble as it is without adding shapeshifting to the pot!

Okay, that was the first 35%-ish of the book. After that, it was just dull. So dull, and the decisions didn’t get any better! By 50% the dusting was looking like something more interesting to do (which is not a good thing).

Overall; somebody else might enjoy this book, but after this book and the first in the series, you are going to have to put a gun to my head to get me to read anything else this author writes. Save yourselves now and steer clear of this one.
3.5 out of 10.


'The Water Witch' will be released on February 12th 2013.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy I didn't read this book. I didn't like Demon Lover. I found that dull and this one only sounds worse. sorry you had to get through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I actually thought of you when I was reading this cause I knew you didn't like the first one. So wish I hadn't read it either!

      Delete