Wednesday, 2 January 2013

The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass




The Selection (The Selection, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's love.

Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.

Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret — one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever.


The Selection by Kiera Cass

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The Selection (The Selection, #1)(Source: I received a copy of this book as a Christmas present! Yay!)
17-year-old America Singer is a five. That’s one up from a six, and one down from a four. Caste’s mean everything, and although she’s in love with a six, it’s a relationship that is unlikely to ever be anything but a secret.

In Ilea, the prince’s bride is always picked from the common people, those in caste’s 2 to 8, and when the application forms are sent out, America’s mother, and strangely enough her secret boyfriend Aspen both want her to apply, so she does. Banking on the fact that only 35 girls will be chosen, and so she is unlikely to be among them, she is shocked when she makes it through to the selection.

Even though Aspen has ended things with her, America knows that her heart still belongs to him, and so when she meets Prince Maxon, she tells him that they can never be more than friends, and offers to help him make his choice in exchange for allowing her to stay, as her family need the compensatory cheques that the royal family send to the families of the girls in the selection.

The longer America stays in the palace though, the more complicated things turn out to be, and she begins to believe that she may really have a place in the selection.
How does Maxon really feel about her though? What of Aspen? And what is really going on with the rebels who keep attacking the palace?


I really enjoyed this book. America really showed that she was beautiful on the inside as well as the outside, and I loved reading as Maxon fell in love with her.

This book really was a cross between a dystopian and a reality TV programme, it had a real ‘hunger games’ feel to it at the beginning with the picking of the contestants, and then felt more like a TV show with the makeovers and lessons.

I loved America and her attitude towards the whole competition. I loved how she had absolutely no intentions of falling for Prince Maxon, and instead tried to be a friend to him. This allowed them to get to know each other without the pressures of the contest, and helped America to relax a little.

I wasn’t able to guess what would happen overall, and the story had just enough mystery to leave me wondering what would happen next. I actually tried to read a review book part way through reading this, and just couldn’t stop thinking about this book for long enough to concentrate on another!

I sometimes find that when I have been anxiously looking forward to a book that it ends up not meeting my expectations, but that didn’t happen here, in fact I think Maxon may have stolen a little bit of my heart as well as America’s.

The first 70% of this book was a definite 4 stars out of 5, by 75% I knew it would be a 5 star finish, and by 80% I was pre-ordering the next book! I seriously cannot get this book out of my head now, and can’t wait until ‘The Elite’ is available! If you like dystopians, and don’t mind a little romance, pick this up! You’ll be pleasantly surprised!
8.5 out of 10.


11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you enjoyed it! Can't wait till I pick up a copy or a loaner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you loved this one! I have a copy, but I'm a little hesitant to read it, because I've read so many mixed reviews... but I will definitely read it soon now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it too although for me it was more of a 4 star book than 5-Probably because there was not a lot of action!I like dystopian books with a little of blood and gore like Hunger Games and Forest of the hands and teeth! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it could definitely have been improved if they'd thrown a few zombies in there :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Sarah! Happy 2013! This is a book I was all excited to read and then I didn't because there was this big nasty thing on Goodreads and the internet that really put me off on this one. I am glad though that it was a five star read and that you are already buying the second. I really should reconsider it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had absolutely no idea there was so much going on with this book! I was really shocked when I read the bad reviews, it had been top of my wishlist for ages!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this really does sound awesome. I have been going back and forth on whether to get it. It seems so girly but I can do girly sometimes. I think I have to get it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I have to read this one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the feel of Reality shows in this book and just like you I loved seeing how Maxon fell for her. I can't wait for the next book! Great review!

    Anatea @ Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually had no idea that this had a reality TV show in it! A lot of people adore this one, I'm so glad you did, too! =)

    ReplyDelete