Sunday, 6 January 2013

The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1) by Julie Kagawa



The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

This novel is one of Julie’s books that will have you demanding for the second one as soon as you finish your read.

 

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

My rating: 7 out of 10 stars


The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited and Netgalley.)
Ethan Chase’s sister Meghan disappeared years ago to become ‘The Iron Queen’ in the land of Nevernever (fairyland). Ethan isn’t happy about that, but he’s even less happy that he is constantly on the alert for faeries and constantly trying to stay out of trouble, and all because he can see Them.

Starting at a new school, the last thing Ethan wants is to run in to a half-breed, especially one who doesn’t want to leave him alone. But as this particular half-breed – Todd seems to be being chased by some sort of faery that Ethan has never seen before, he figures he should help. Then Todd disappears.

Ending up chased by the very same freaky faeries that have kidnaped Todd, Ethan does the only thing he can do – escape to Nevernever, and ask his sister for help.
Can Ethan rescue Todd though? What exactly are these weird faeries that nobody seems to remember? And what secrets is The Iron Queen hiding?


Let me just start this review by saying that I haven’t read ‘The Iron Fey’ series by Julie Kagawa from which this series is a spin-off. Loads of reviews that I have read have all been written by people who have, so I decided to do the opposite, and read this first. I’m sure there are plenty of you out there who haven’t read the original series, but might be intrigued by this one, so let me just say that I enjoyed this book without having read the ‘Iron Fey’ series, and although I think there probably were spoilers form the previous books in this book, I was able to read this book without getting lost or confused, and I still intend to read the ‘Iron Fey’ series (just as soon as I get round to it – so hopefully before I die).

Anyway, I found this book really captivating in the beginning, the first 20% of the book flew by, and I was glued to my kindle. Unfortunately I didn’t feel quite this way further on in the book, by the middle my attention was lagging, but the book did then improve again towards the end (making this book quite difficult to rate!). I would have to say that I enjoyed it overall though.

I liked Ethan, and I could understand why he wanted to keep a low-profile from the faeries. I got why Todd latched on to Ethan for help, and I liked the love interest – Kenzie.
I liked the storyline, although the ending was left very open for the next book. I have to say that I’m interested as to what will happen to Kenzie especially after a shock revelation in this instalment.

There were plenty of guest appearances from people who I’m guessing are in the ‘Iron Fey’ series, and I suppose I would have recognised these if I had read the previous books! There’s also a cameo from Puck.

Overall; I enjoyed this book, but I wasn’t blown away by it. I will probably read the next in the series, mainly to find out what happens to Kenzie.
7 out of 10.

The UK version of this book is released today ☺


The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1) The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1)
I was never all that taken with the first cover, but I love the second one ☺

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read the Iron Fey series either. Not sure about faeries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pacing of The Lost Prince sounds pretty close to what you'll find in the rest of the Iron Fey series. The middles always seem to lag but the beginnings and endings are always spectacular. I've read those but have been avoiding this one because Ethan was a little boy in those - I don't know if I can imagine him as a love interest. :) I do love Puck though...

    That second cover is gorgeous - I never liked the first one either, it looked a little generic and it didn't do Ethan any favors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait? I think this is part of the series Alexa has been wanting for a while now You like the all the books? Age range 13+??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm glad that you were able to read this without having read The Iron Fey series, as I've only read the first two books in that series so far. I really like the sound of this spin off series too, I'm glad the book eventually worked out for you despite it's lackluster middle. Another brilliant review Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the Iron Fey series yet either. I am happy to hear that I can still enjoy this book. Even though the middle lags, I think this sounds awesome.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not alone! I have yet to read THE IRON FEY series, too.

    ReplyDelete