Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Stolen Nights (Vampire Queen, #2) by Rebecca Maizel

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Stolen Night (Vampire Queen, #2)
Lenah Beaudonte should be dead. But having sacrificed herself to save another, she finds herself awakening with strange powers that are neither vampire nor human—and a new enemy on her trail. In her vampire life, Lenah had thought that being human was all she ever wanted; but the human heart suffers pain, heartbreak and loss.

With her new powers growing and the dark force of the Nex after her soul, Lenah faces a choice: between the mortal love of gorgeous Justin, whose passion fed her human soul, and taking a different path to become the mistress of her own destiny, wherever that may lead...


Stolen Nights by Rebecca Maizel

My rating: 7 out of 10 stars


Stolen Nights (Vampire Queen, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to St. Martin's Press and Netgalley.)
This is the second book in the ‘Vampire Queen’ series, and kicks off a few days after the end of book 1 – Infinite Days.)
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1**
Lenah is now human again, and so is Vicken – the man who she originally made a vampire. Boundaries have been crossed though, and now Lenah must face the Aeris - the existences that represent the four elements of the natural world – earth, air, fire, and water.

There’s a bigger shock in store though, because Rhode – the vampire who made her, and then died to make her human is alive and human also!

There’s also another vampire in town – Odette, a girl that Lenah herself turned, and she wants power. She’s desperate to get her hands on the ritual that Lenah used to turn human again, but if she gets it she’ll turn Lenah’s new home at Wickham into a living hell, which Lenah can’t allow.
Can Lenah stop Odette? Can Lenah and Rhode ever be happy together? And who else will have to pay for the mistakes that Lenah has made?


It was interesting to see what happened to Lenah after the events of the first book, and the reappearance of Rhode was unexpected, but I didn’t like this book as much as the first.

For me this is one of those books where you finish it, and aren’t quite sure what to say about it. The story was okay, the characters were okay, there was action and mystery, but it just didn’t grab me the same way the first book did.

Lenah once again tries to put other people before herself, but doesn’t handle the situation between herself and Rhode very well, which was actually nice to see! With Justin and Vicken thrown into the mix too, this gets a bit messy.

Once again the characters in this book do not come across like 16-year-olds, and I had to remind myself time and time again that this takes place at a boarding school, because the characters just seemed so much more mature than their years.

There was one part of this book that did grab me, and that was the ending. I quite honestly could not believe the turn that this book made, and the choice that Lenah took in the end. The end of the book was totally heart breaking, and even made me cry. It was so sad and so beautiful all at the same time, and I’m not sure that I’ll ever forget it. It was the ending that totally saved this book for me, although I’m not sure where the author will be going with the third book in the trilogy.

Overall; an okay book, with a heart-breaking, gut-wrenching ending.
7 out of 10.



    


This book is the second book in the 'Vampire Queen' series. It is already available in the UK, but will be published in the US on January 29th 2013. 

Check out these beautiful covers!
Stolen Nights (Vampire Queen, #2) Stolen Night (Vampire Queen, #2) FragilityÂmes soeurs (Humaine, Tome 2)Und ewig währt der Tag (Vampire Queen, #2)

9 comments:

  1. I skimmed your review as I haven't read the 1st in the story. There seems to be quite a bit of praise for this series. I've seen it around. I did read the last paragraph which says that there's a gut-wrenching ending. Eeeek!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolute killer. Won't forget that ending ever.

      Delete
  2. I read an ARC of the first book in this series before I even knew what ARC's were lol. And now I'm half way through this story and having trouble finishing. After reading your review I will definitely try and finish it though, I'm glad you liked the ending and I can't wait to find out what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this was pretty average right up until the end, then the author got a sledgehammer and used it to hit her readers over the head right at the end of the book. absolutely killed me the ending of this one!

      Delete
  3. Glad that you liked the ending at least, but sorry it didn't click with you like the first one. They have such great premises though.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Rhode is back and he is human and alive? Interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. With a gut-wrenching ending, I may postpone reading it till the third book comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is a pretty cover! Sorry you couldnt enjoy this one more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the first book but if the cover is anything like this cover, I would read it just for that. lol

    ReplyDelete