Friday, 4 January 2013

Someone Else's Fairytale by Emily Mah Tippetts


Someone Else's Fairytale
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Jason Vanderholt, Hollywood's hottest actor, falls head over heels for everygirl, Chloe Winters, who hasn't gotten around to watching most of his movies. She becomes the woman every other woman in America is dying to be, but it just isn't her fairytale.








 

Someone Else's Fairytale by Emily Mah Tippetts

My rating: 7 out of 10 stars


Someone Else's Fairytale(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)
22-year-old Chloe doesn’t have the most structured of backgrounds, but now she’s on track to be valedictorian. Until she graduates, she has no intentions of having a sexual relationship with anyone; she doesn’t need the stress, she doesn’t want to have a child out of wedlock like her mother did, and she also has no intentions of becoming involved with a movie star.

Jason has been in several movies, and now has a fan group full of semi-crazy, crying girls. It’s Chloe that he likes though, and he’s happy just being her friend if it means that he gets to spend time with her.
Can Chloe and Jason ever be together though? Their backgrounds are so different, and Chloe doesn’t want to be followed by the press for the rest of her life. Can this fairytale ever be what Chloe dreams of?


This was an interesting romance, where not everything was sunshine and laughter, and bad things happen to good people. Chloe has a complicated background, whilst Jason has fame to follow him around, and not everything is as it seems.

Chloe was a strong female lead but I did feel that some of her ideas and principles were fairly rigid and maybe even a little too severe. She didn’t believe in sex before marriage – fair enough, she wants to focus on her education – fair enough, but don’t then be surprised if your ex-boyfriend broke up with you because he wanted sex and you wouldn’t go there.
She didn’t want Jason to pay for stuff for her, and felt bad even accepting something small like a coffee from him, I mean I understand that she wanted to be independent, and didn’t want him to treat her like he owned her, but the bloke is a movie-star for goodness sake! I’m sure she could have accepted something from him, when he offered, even if only to make his life easier, especially when it was something that would keep her safe, or mean that she could see Jason more frequently. I think Chloe maybe took this ‘independent woman’ thing a little too far, who doesn’t want a man to treat her like a princess occasionally?

I liked Jason, although I felt sorry for him that Chloe dragged her heels so much, and made things like keeping her safe from crazy fans more difficult. I don’t think you can really blame a bloke for wanting his girlfriend safe and nearby. He did go a little nuts at one point when one of his co-stars was pretending that he was having an affair with her, but I could forgive him for that as if Chloe had believed her things could have been very different!

I was really disappointed with Chloe’s friend Matthew’s behaviour. I thought that they were good together, and at one point I even thought that Chloe and Matthew would make a better pair than Chloe and Jason, but the way that Matthew then behaved towards Chloe was awful, and I really disliked him for it.

Although this was a romance, Chloe and Jason were not ‘fated’ to be with one another. They had to work hard at their relationship, and it wasn’t all some kind of fairytale, which made things a bit more realistic. There was also a lot of movie-stuff in the book that made that part of the storyline more interesting and ‘real’ too.

Overall; an interesting and realistic contemporary romance.
7 out of 10.


The sequel to 'Somebody Else's Fairytale' is released tomorrow!


Emily Mah Tippetts
 
http://www.emtippetts.com/p/home.html 
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1470927.Emily_Mah_Tippetts


 Emily's books are available in both ebook and paperback format :)
Watchout for the release of the sequel to 'Someone Else's Fairytale' 'Nobody's Damsel' - released tomorrow!

  

6 comments:

  1. It's interesting that there seems to be an emergence of books that talk about pre-marital celibacy. I wonder if there are more of then recently, or if I'm just now noticing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really paid attention, but I know this book sometimes takes flack from people assuming it's meant to be some sort of propaganda. Really, I have no interest in preaching to people. It's just an attribute of this character who has rigid self control and doesn't trust other people. There's a religious character who's not the greatest celibate person and a best friend who gets pregnant out of wedlock without the sky falling on her head.

      Delete
  2. Well, I am always for a realistic and beliveable romance but the dragging the feet can be a little much sometimes. Glad to hear that this was a good read and not all sunshine like you said. Have a great weekend, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one on my Kindle, I just haven't had a chance to read it. I could see Chloe getting on my nerves a bit, though. Wonderful review Sarah. I'll have to pick this one up soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole "dragging the feet" thing annoys me but I also like that they have to work on the realtionship. Sounds more realistic.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one enjoy books that have people considering the consequences of premarital sex. Let's face it... all woman at some point that are involved in sexual activity consider, "Will he stay or go if I get pregnant?"

    In today's society it more than likely the father will leave and adamantly say, "That baby don't look like me. Or, that baby ain't mine."

    So I give props for anyone real or factious who takes a stand and doesn't want conceive a child out of wedlock.

    I would be interested in reading and reviewing this for my daughter blog.

    ReplyDelete