Thursday, 31 January 2013

Remembrance (Transcend Time Saga #1) by Michelle Madow




Remembrance (Transcend Time, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's high school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she get him out of her mind?

Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, fighting fate isn't going to be easy.



Remembrance by Michelle Madow

My rating: 8 out of 10 stars


Remembrance (Transcend Time, #1)(Source: Purchased from Amazon.co.uk for only 77p!)
16-year-old Lizzie has a great boyfriend, and a great best friend, but when she lays eyes on the gorgeous newcomer at school, everything changes.

Lizzie tells herself that she wants nothing to do with the new boy Drew, but can’t help but feel jealous when her best friend Chelsea starts dating him; especially when her own boyfriend Jeremy seems to be changing in front of her eyes, and not for the better.

Something about Drew just draws Lizzie to him though, even when he tells her that they can’t be together. But love is stronger than friendship, and slowly draws them together regardless. It seems that Lizzie and Drew may have been together in a past life, but things ended badly.
Can Lizzie and Drew make their relationship work? And how many people will get hurt in the process?


I really enjoyed this book, although I felt there was less of the whole reincarnation thing than I expected.

Lizzie was such a sweet girl, and I loved the romance between her and Drew. I totally understood why she didn’t want to be with Jeremy anymore, and I felt that she totally did the right thing with being upfront with Jeremy about how she didn’t want to be with him anymore.
It was unfortunate the situation that Drew and Lizzie got themselves into though, if Drew had never gone out with Chelsea, it would have made things so much easier, and Lizzie wouldn’t have felt like she was betraying her friend quite so much.
I thought the romance between Drew and Lizzie was sweet, and I wished that things could have been simpler for them, but that was not the way it was ‘meant to be’.

I did think that less was made of the reincarnation thing than I expected, from what I had previously read about this book I had some vague idea that it involved righting past mistakes, but I now get that it was more about preventing them from making the same mistakes again, rather than going back in time to fix them. To be honest, the whole reincarnation storyline took a bit of a back seat to me as I just loved the book as a contemporary romance in its own right.

I did like the ending, although I can see that Lizzie and Drew are still going to have many more battles to face if they want to stay together.
Overall; a sweet YA contemporary romance. Highly recommended.
8 out of 10.



Interview with the author - 

Michelle Madow


Can you tell us a bit about ‘The Transcend Time Saga’ and your Inspiration for it?

The Transcend Time Saga is about a high school student named Lizzie who has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England, but doesn’t realize it until she meets her soul mate from the past and he triggers her memories to gradually return. The series began with Remembrance (published July 25, 2011), continued with the short story Vengeance (published December 8, 2011), and concluded with Timeless (published November 20, 2012).

The first book in the series, Remembrance, was inspired by Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” music video. After I watched the music video, I had the idea for a story about a high school girl who sees her soul mate for the first time, and gradually remembers a past life they shared. There are lots of Taylor Swift references throughout the book!

What three words would you use to best describe ‘The Transcend Time Saga’?

Fairy-tale, reincarnation, romance

What are your favourite things about the Lizzie Davenport and Drew Carmichael?

For both Lizzie and Drew, my favorite thing about them is how much they grow through the series. A criticism I sometimes get about Remembrance is that some people are frustrated by how meek Lizzie can be in the beginning of the story. But I did that on purpose so her character can grow J

When Remembrance begins, Lizzie is in a bad relationship with her boyfriend of three years, Jeremy. They have grown apart, but Lizzie is so comfortable in the relationship that she doesn’t yet have the courage to break up with him. As the story progresses, she learns more about herself through the visions she gets of her past life, and she gets more comfortable accepting who she truly is. By Timeless, she is much more confident and mature.

Drew grows a lot as well, but in a very different way. He’s used to being on his own, so when he first sees Lizzie, his soul mate from the past, he doesn’t know how to react. (There are reasons why he feels the need to stay away from her, but telling you would be spoilers for the story!) His character growth is learning to let people in, and working with others to solve problems that arise through the series.

Can you tell us what you’re working on at the moment? (If you are)

I’ve written two other books besides the ones in the Transcend Time Saga. One is an upper middle-grade urban fantasy about Greek Mythology and witchcraft. The other is a mature contemporary YA that takes place in Las Vegas. I am trying to go the traditional publishing route with the Vegas book, and my agent has it out to publishers right now. Hopefully they’ll like it!

Other than your own, what are your favourite books?

There are so many books I love! A few are: Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Luxe by Anna Godbersen, Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, and Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan.

Random Questions

What’s your favourite treat?

CHEESE. I love cheese. Fondue, cheese on crackers, cheese sticks … I just love it.

What’s your Favourite place to read/write?

On my bed. I cannot work at a desk—it makes me feel uncomfortable and trapped. I do all my reading and writing on my bed where I can sprawl out and get cozy. (When I was in school I did my homework on my bed, too.)

If you won the lottery what would you most look forward to spending money on?

If I won the lottery, the best part would be knowing I could write books forever and never have to worry about money. I would most look forward to buying all the designer clothes I wanted!

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

South Florida is where I live, and it’s my dream location, too! Right now I live about 20 minutes from the beach, but my dream home would be on the beach, so I could look at the ocean while writing. I don’t like high rise buildings though (they make me feel boxed in), so I would want house on the beach, which unfortunately costs millions of dollars. Maybe someday!☺  


Visit www.michellemadow.com to purchase Remembrance, the first book in the Transcend Time Saga, and to add Michelle on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites!


 

You can also get the Transcendence (Transcend Time Bonus Packet) for free on smashwords!

Cover for 'Transcendence (Transcend Time Bonus Packet)'INCLUDED IN THE BONUS PACKET: - Sneak peak of Remembrance - Bonus scene for Remembrance - Deleted chapter from Timeless - Character extras for Lizzie, Drew, Chelsea, Jeremy, and Hannah - Author interviews - Essays written by Michelle Madow about the series


6 comments:

  1. Great interview!! I haven't read the series, so I loved hearing about what inspired Madow (and how cute that she sprinkled in Taylor Swift references). As a Wisconsin Cheesehead I approve of her love of fromage. :D

    Love your review too - from the cover, I assumed there'd be more about their past lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reincarnation aspect of this book would have me intrigued too. I also like the sound of the contemporary romance too. If I had seen this book before I don't think I would have been tempted in giving it a try, but your review has definitely changed my original opinion. Lovely review Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series but after reading your review and the author interview, I think I'll give it a try. I want to find out what's going on between Drew and Lizzie and whether they could change their ending for the better. Thank you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like it even though it wasn't as much incarnation as you thought.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been very interested in this book for some time. I like the sound of it even if the reincarntion wasn't as a big part of the book as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is on my TBR list, I am intrigued by the book description. Thank you for sharing your review too, it gives me a little perspective on what to expect.

    ReplyDelete