Thursday, 10 January 2013

Reckless Magic (Star-Crossed, #1) by Rachel Higginson


Reckless Magic (Star-Crossed, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
16 year old Eden Matthews has been in and out of private schools for the last two years. Kingsley is her last chance to finish high school and she is determined to simply do that. But when she meets Kiran Kendrick and her world opens to something she thought only existed in fairy tales, she's unsure what her future will hold. Suddenly she is captivated by a boy who seems to be the source of all of her problems and struggling to rescue her best friend from a foreign prison. When attempts are made on Kiran's life, Eden alone must save him. Thrust into a world that is more make-believe than reality, Eden has to find her own destiny without losing those she loves most. Reckless is an intricate story of mystery, adventure, magic and love. Eden Matthews is an unlikely heroine set on a path to save the world and her loved ones before its too late.
 

Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson

My rating: 7 out of 10 stars


Reckless Magic (Star-Crossed, #1)(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)
16-year-old Eden has already been kicked out of three schools, and this next one, Kingsley, is her last hope. It wasn’t exactly her fault that she was expelled before; it was the electricity in her skin that caused a plague, a flood, and a fire at her three previous schools.

Now Eden just wants to try to fit in, but the electricity isn’t going away; and the gorgeous but irritating Kieran just seems to make it worse, every time they touch something seems to explode!

Not everything at Kingsley is what Eden expects though. The electricity in her skin isn’t unusual here, but here they call it magic.
Now Eden must come to terms with the new information she’s confronted with, as well as working out how she feels about Kiran, and trying to contain and use her magic. But what is special about Kiran? Why should she stay away from him? And why is her friend Lily’s life suddenly in danger?


I enjoyed this book, it was fun and easy to read, and although I guessed some of what was coming, the story was still enjoyable.

Eden was a fun character, and what she lacked in insight she made up for with spunk. Kiran was both irritating and charming, and showed that he obviously cared for Eden, greatly. The romance between the two was lovely, and I was hoping that they would get together all along.

The storyline was good, and although there were elements that had been done before, there were also lots of new ideas, and twists that I didn’t see coming. I was also pleased that the book had an ending, as well as the promise of more to come in the following book.
Overall; a light, YA, paranormal romance.
7 out of 10.





Check it out! 


p.s - this one is FREE on kindle (and Nook)!

11 comments:

  1. This is the first time I'm hearing about this book. It sounds like a fun read and it's good you still enjoyed it even after guessing some of the ending. Great review, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before, but just downloaded it because Eden and Kiran sound like good characters.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't refuse a freebie! Especially one that you've gone to the trouble of reviewing! Thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fun! If I didn't already have such a huge TBR, I'd check it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there is a lot to be happy about with this one...first a good freebie that is always a plus, second a solid ending... I detest cliffhangers and finally I love the paranormal aspects as well as some fun twists. How can you go wrong with a freebie? Thanks for the recommendation, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think about it..I think I might have picked up a copy of this awhile back. That is terrible I can't remember my TBR is so out of control.

      Delete
    2. I often have to go to 'manage my kindle' to make sure I haven't already got something! So difficult to keep track with so many free books available ☺

      Delete
  6. I like the sound of books which mix it up a bit and try something different which hasn't been done before, despite sounding similar to quite a few books, I like how this book adds a few twists and turns which keeps you on your toes! I'm glad you enjoyed this Sarah and thanks for the heads up on the freebie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A light YA PNR sounds good right now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy you enjoyed it. I don't mind common concepts as long as new ideas are mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 7 out of 10 on a scale of 1 to 5 that would translate to a 3 1/2 stars, with no 1/2 star that would bump it to a 4 Star review.

    That is what Alexandria and I gave it for B4R and on the blogs GR account. I don't think I have posted on mine yet.

    Check out our review http://www.modernpeasantsbookshelf.blogspot.com/2013/01/reckless-magic-by-rachel-higginson.html

    ReplyDelete