Saturday, 26 January 2013

Kismetology by Jaimie Admans

Blurb (from Goodreads):Kismetology
Finding the perfect man isn't easy. Especially when it's for your mother...

Mothers. Can't live with them, can't live without them, can't live three doors down the road without them interfering in every aspect of your life.

Mackenzie Atkinson's mother has meddled in her love life once too often and something has to be done. Mackenzie decides to turn the tables and find love for her lonely mother.
Her lonely and very fussy mother.
Surely finding an older gentleman looking for love won't be that hard, right?
Wrong.
If you've ever thought that boys grow up, here's the problem: They don't. Ever.
And Mackenzie is about to learn that the hard way.

Faced with a useless boyfriend, dressed up dogs, men who wear welly boots on dates, men who shouldn't be allowed out in public, and men who make reptiles seem like attractive company - will she ever find the perfect man for her neurotic mother?


Kismetology by Jaimie Admans

My rating: 8 out of 10 stars


Kismetology(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Jaimie Admans!)
29-year-old Mackenzie is sick of her mother interfering in her life. Mac and her boyfriend Dan recently moved in together, but her mother even interfered in that – finding them a house to rent only 3 doors down the road from her.

Moving out hasn’t stopped Mac’s mum though, now she pops round every night and puts on her soaps, and Mac and Dan get no time alone together in peace.

But then Mac comes up with an idea – maybe if she found a man for her mum, then her mum would leave Mac and Dan alone. Now Mackenzie just has to find the perfect man for her mum.

Deciding the best thing to do is vet these men before letting her mother meet them, Mackenzie goes on bad date after bad date, and being propositioned by 50 year old guys is not exactly her most favourite thing to do.
Can Mackenzie really find the perfect man for her fussy mother though? How many dates will she have to go on with lousy men? And is matchmaking something that Mackenzie was born to do?


This book was just funny! I mean laugh your face off funny! By about 15% of the way in I was crying with laughter – talk about comic relief!
I’d describe this book as a chick-lit, with a healthy dose of comedy, so if you’re feeling a bit miserable (after reading all those sad books), then read this – it will definitely cheer you up!

Mackenzie is a great lead character. She tries so hard to find her mother someone to love, as well as trying to distract her mother so that she can have some quiet nights in with her boyfriend – even if he doesn’t really appreciate the lengths she is going to for him.

The men that Mackenzie ‘dates’ while trying to find someone for her mother are a right mixture, and they’re not obviously hideous at first, so when they then do something weird, it is sort-of unexpected. While some of the men’s faults are maybe a tad cliché, it doesn’t actually feel that way at all as you read the story, purely because it is written so nicely, and Mackenzie is such a normal sort of girl.

I did laugh a lot at Mackenzie’s failed adventures though, and it was nice that she tried to find men in several different ways so that the story felt that it was constantly going somewhere. The story also had a beginning, middle, and end which was nice, and although I did guess who her mother would end up with, there were plenty of twists and turns in the plot so that you were still kept guessing as to what would happen next.

Overall; I really enjoyed this book, and it had great comedy value, as well as being an awesome chick-lit read. If you’re looking for a pick-me-up or just a great chick-lit story – grab a copy of this! You won’t regret it!
8 out of 10.



  


Interview with the author -

Jaimie Admans


- When did you start writing?
I’ve been writing since I was young, and writing seriously for about twelve years now. I always knew I loved it and I wished I could make a career of it but didn’t think it would ever be possible. About seven years ago, I wrote my first chick-lit novel, and I realised that people could and did make careers and earn a living from doing just that. That’s when I started to really concentrate on writing novels and started to take writing seriously, with the intention of writing something that could one day be published.

- What was your inspiration for Kismetology?
I love reading books where the character is trying to find the perfect man, and I love dating stories whether the dates are good or bad. It’s particularly fun to hear about the bad dates! I wanted to write something like that, but I thought that the ‘single girl trying to find the perfect man’ angle was a bit overdone. I’ve often thought my own mum could do with a man, but she would consider herself too old for dating. I realised I could combine the two ideas, and Kismetology was born!

- What three words would you use to best describe Kismetology?
Funny (hopefully!) romantic (hopefully!) and feel-good (hopefully!) I hope people would consider it a feel-good romantic comedy, because even though Mackenzie meets her fair share of less-than-perfect men, she does meet some nice ones too, and I think it proves that it’s never too late to start looking for love and not to settle for less than you deserve!

- What are your favourite things about the character Mackenzie?
I like that she never gives up. No matter how disastrous a date is, she always gets straight back out there, even when she feels like giving up. She has total faith in her ability to find someone amazing for her mum!

- Is Kismetology a standalone novel or will this be part of a series?
At the moment, it’s a standalone. I never had any intention of writing a sequel, although I’ve had a few requests for one since it’s been published, and it has got the cogs turning in my head, although I have no time to even consider writing it at the moment, so if there was ever to be a sequel, it would be a long way off!

- Can you tell us about your other books? (If you have any)
I have one other book out at the moment, it’s a children’s Christmas story called Creepy Christmas – it was released in November, and is about a girl who has to help Santa and his daughter save Christmas from an evil Santa.
I have another book coming out in March – this one is Young Adult paranormal, and it’s called Afterlife Academy.

- Can you tell us what you’re working on at the moment? (If you are)
Right now, I’m up to my ears in edits of Afterlife Academy! After that it’s straight onto editing book four, which doesn’t have a title yet. After that I will be sorting through my potential plots folder and choosing what to write next! I have plenty of ideas, but none that I have explored thoroughly enough yet to definitely say which one will be written next!

- Other than your own, what are your favourite books?
I love See Jane Date by Melissa Senate. It’s the book that made me start writing chick-lit, and it will always have a special place on my bookshelf because of that. I also love Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume, I must have read it two hundred times as a teenager, and I still can’t part with my tattered old copy!

Random Questions    
- What’s your favourite treat?
Tea! No, that’s not right, tea is not a treat - it’s an absolute necessity! Chocolate. definitely. Anything chocolate. It’s really bad for me that all the Easter chocolate is out at the moment, because I’ve got a real thing for Cadbury’s Crème Eggs! And the miniature Kinder Eggs, but they are seriously addictive!
 
- What’s your Favourite place to read/write?
I like to read in bed at night with my Kindle, when the house is quiet and dark. Particularly fun if you’re reading a horror story!
For writing, I write at my laptop in the bedroom. I can’t concentrate when there’s too much noise going on around me, so sitting in coffee shops is out. I work best when I’m on my own in front of the laptop!


- If you won the lottery what would you most look forward to spending money on?
Books! You can never have enough books! Think of all the books you could buy with a lottery win!
Oh, and perfume! I’m a perfume addict, and unfortunately I have expensive taste! It would be amazing to walk around Boots and not worry about how much each tiny bottle costs!


- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I live in a really quiet village in the Welsh countryside now, and I always say I’d love to live in a city. I’d love to live right in the centre of New York, or London, but I also know that I’d miss home so much! I’d like that lottery win to buy me an apartment in New York that I could use whenever I felt like being Carrie Bradshaw for a while, and then come home when I got fed up of it!

 Thanks so much to Jaimie for stopping by the blog and for making this giveaway possible!

1 lucky winner will win an ebook of 'Kismetology'
a Rafflecopter giveaway


 

7 comments:

  1. This sounds so cute! I would feel so sorry for any man I'd have to fix up with my crazy mom. lol

    Thank you so much for the giveaway, Jaimie! I'm definitely going to look this one up, I need a fun little breather in between some of the heavy books I have to read - and any author that loves chocolate is tops with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a fun book. And thanks so much for putting up my blog button :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always up for a funny chick lit book and if this one made you laugh until you cried,I really need to check it out. I always could use a funny read in the winter. Hey Jamie sounds like a lot of fun and she loves chocolate so that makes her okay in my book! Thanks for sharing! All entered :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jamie!
    Good review Sarah. The book sounds good and the interview was great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usally don't read chick-lit but I love funny books. If this made you laugh that much, I am all over it.

    Great interview too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, chocolate is my Achilles's heel, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover, the title and the synopsis! This sounds like a fun read, which is just my cup of tea. So, thanks, Jaimie!

    ReplyDelete