Friday, 25 January 2013

A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1) (ARC) by Lisa M. Basso

A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)
Blurb (rom Goodreads):
Sixteen-year-old Rayna sees angels, and has the medication and weekly therapy sessions to prove it. Now, in remission, Rayna starts fresh at a new school, lands a new job, and desperately tries for normalcy. She ignores signs that she may be slipping into the world she has tried so hard to climb out of. But these days, it’s more than just hallucinations that keep Rayna up at night. Students are dying, and she may be the only one who can stop it. Can she keep her job, her sanity, and her friends from dying at the hands of angels she can't admit to seeing?

A Shimmer of Angels by Lisa M. Basso

My rating: 7.5 out of 10 stars


A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Month9Books and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Ray has spent the last 3 years of her life in and out of a mental healthcare facility that she likes to refer to as SS Crazy, and now that she’s finally home, she wants a normal life.

Back at school the last thing she wants to see is wings. Thinking that she saw angels was what got her locked up and medicated in the first place, and she’s so not going back there. So when the other new kid Cam has brightly shining wings, Ray just hopes that she’s not going to get sent back to SS Crazy.

Things soon spiral out of control though when another girl at the school kills herself though, and after drawing an angel – with black wings.

Ray is freaked out, but even more freaked out when another angel (Kade) turns up at the cafĂ© where she’s just started working, and he has black wings.

Things aren’t so clear-cut though. Is the black winged angel responsible for Alison’s suicide? What is Cam here for? And what will happen when they discover that Ray can see them for what they really are?


I’ve read loads of angel books, to the point where I was even wondering if I was getting a bit sick of them, but I totally didn’t have that problem with ‘A Shimmer of Angels’. Even though this was about angels, it had a different feel to it, and I really enjoyed it.

Ray was a great character. Even though she’d been locked up in an institution, she still maintained that the angels were real, and that she wasn’t crazy, which must be difficult to do when that is what everyone has been telling you for 3 years. She was shocked when she saw an angel again, but she tried her best to hold it together, which was difficult for her, especially when Alison died.

I’m afraid we did have a bit of a love triangle in this book, but it wasn’t a bad one funnily enough. Cam was a ‘good’ angel, and although he did have feelings for Ray, he couldn’t act on them, because loving a human is against the rules and will cause an angel to fall. Ray did have feelings for Cam too, but worried that nobody would want her because of the ‘crazy’ label.
Kade was a bit more of a bad boy, as the fallen angel, although it seemed that although he was fallen, he hadn’t really gone over to the dark side, he was just living on earth as a human. Kade scared Ray initially because of his dark wings, but as she got to know him better she started to like him (no insta-love folks). Kade was my favourite out of the two though.

I liked the storyline in this book and there were plenty of twists and turns that I didn’t really see coming. There was also plenty of action at the end, and some occurrences that I would never have guessed! I liked that even though this book was about angels, it wasn’t your average angel story, and I liked how who was ‘good’, and who was ‘bad’ wasn’t obvious or easy to work out either.

Overall; I really enjoyed this book, and I’m interested to see what will happen to Ray, Cam, and Kade in the next instalment.
7.5 out of 10.


   


'A Shimmer Of Angels' will be released on January 29th 2013.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, sounds like a neat twist on angels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a pretty cover and I just love angel books! I never get tired of them! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read a lot of Angel books so this one sounds good. And I don't mind love triangles right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to learn that you enjoyed reading this one! Seems like the story has a good cast of characters. Loved your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the cover on this one. I am always wary of anything that has angels because I am not a religious person and don't like reading books with overtly religious themes...so I'm glad to see that you say this was a unique take on angels and that you enjoyed it despite being a little weary of angel books yourself. This is one I'll probably check out from the library, if I decide to read it. Thanks for the good, spoiler-free review!

    ReplyDelete