Friday, 14 December 2012

The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer by Lisa Orchard



The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer
Blurb (from Goodreads):
This book opens in a small town in Michigan where fifteen-year-old Sarah Cole is stuck spending the summer at her Aunt and Uncle’s with her sister, Lacey. She’s not happy with the situation until she befriends a girl named Jackie. The three girls stumble upon the ruthless murder of a reclusive neighborhood woman. One of the officers investigating the crime believes the girls are responsible for her death. Fearing that this officer will frame them for the murder, the girls organize their own detective squad. They become the Super Spies and start their own fact-finding mission. The Super Spies can’t understand why anyone would want to murder the “Cat Lady” until they start digging into her past and discover a horrible crime that happened thirty years ago. They uncover a connection between the two crimes and attempt to bring this information to the police, only to be reprimanded for meddling in the inquest. Not only are the girls upset by the admonition, but they also struggle with the fact that their exuberant investigating could provide a legal loophole allowing the killer to go free. To make matters worse, the police don’t even believe them. Frustrated by this turn of events, the Super Spies realize it’s up to them to snare the Cat Lady killer.

The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer by Lisa Orchard

My rating: 6.5 out of 10 stars


The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer(Source: I won a digital copy of this book! Thanks to Jean Book Nerd and Lisa Orchard.)
Sarah and her sister Lacey are spending the summer with their aunt and uncle, when they meet Jackie.
Jackie quickly becomes their friend, and teaches them how to play ‘truth or dare’.

For Sarah’s dare, she must go and ring the doorbell of ‘the cat lady’ – an old lady who lives alone with her cats, who local kids call a witch.
Sarah is in for a shock though when she goes to the cat lady’s door and finds her lying dead on the floor, covered in blood.

Who killed the cat lady? Why did they want her dead? And can Sarah, Lacey, and Jackie discover who the killer is?


This was a fun read, which kind of reminded me of books that I read when I was younger like Nancy Drew and The Famous Five.
I thought the girls were sweet, and so determined to catch the killer, and their antics such as camping out in the back garden totally reminded me of when I used to do the same thing as a child.

I liked the storyline. I did guess what was going on fairly early on, but that was half of the fun – waiting to see if I was right! I would guess that this book is aimed at a younger audience, but it’s enjoyable for adults too. This would probably have been a 5 star for me when I was 11!

Overall; a fun, Nancy Drew-esque, mystery story.
6.5 out of 10.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks Sarah for giving me such an awesome review! The age range for this story is between 8-16...so you're right an 11 year old would love this! :) A great Xmas gift for that tween/teen in your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from a few BOBBSEY TWINS mysteries, I haven't read a whole lot of the genre. This one looks cute, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Elisabeth! I appreciate your comment! My very first mystery given to me by my mother was a Bobbsey Twins book! I was so excited! If you liked the Bobbsey Twins or Nancy Drew you'll love the Super Spies! :) I've gotten great reviews for this story and the second story in the series! One teen who read "The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer" said it was like Nancy Drew but MORE FABULOUS! :) I was excited by that one! :)

    If you get the books...I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this would be great for Macy/Alexandria and she can review it on her blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Lissa! (Love your first name by the way!) I'd love to have Macy/Alexandria review my story! :)How do I get in touch with them?

    ReplyDelete