Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Owlet by Emma Michaels

Owlet (Society of Feathers, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Somewhere between falling and flying… there is a girl.

Iris has a secret. She lost her memory eight years ago and never told a living soul. After an asthma attack one night she finds out that her dreams of a strange house on a snowy island may be a memory resurfacing but the more she learns about the past the more she realizes the life she has been living is a lie. As the façade her father has built starts to crumble around her she will have to decide which means more to her; the truth or her life.


My rating: 5 out of 10 stars

Owlet (Society of Feathers, #1)(Source: I was given a copy of this book as a gift from the author. Thanks to Emma Michaels!)
Iris has recurring dreams of a house and an island, covered in white feathers. It’s only when her father sends her there that she realises that she is dreaming of a real place!

When Iris finally reaches the island she finds that her mother used to live there, and she hears a voice in her mind directing her around the house and to a room filled with books.

Iris’ memories of her mother, and her life when she was younger are non-existent, and she aches to try and remember now that she is on the island.

But who or what is Iris really? Who is the boy on the island who seems to know her? And what other secrets is her father hiding from her?


This book had a real fairy tale feel to it; Iris had practically no memory of her childhood, and the reader followed her as she retuned to an island she had been dreaming about, and found out more about her mother, herself, and her heritage.

There were a lot of random clues as to Iris’ real identity, but the reader was still kept in suspense for most of the book, and discovers a lot of things as Iris does.

The ideas in this book were pretty unique, and there was even a little nursery rhyme too. My main problem with this book was just that it didn’t hold my attention. I found myself just feeling bored, and I think because I was bored, I didn’t really take in a lot of the storyline, and then ended up seriously confused.
This book wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t for me.
5 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. Aww...well, I'd still like to read it someday! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to add to my want-2-read list. I love the cover art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does have a uique idea but I know what it's like when books bore you no matter how hard you want to get into them.

    ReplyDelete