Friday, 28 December 2012

Destined (Desolation, #3) by Ali Cross


Destined (Desolation, #3)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Choosing is a bad idea, because Desi always makes the wrong one, and sometimes there are no do-overs. Certainly not this time, when all has been lost and Desi can’t even save herself, let alone her friends. For Desi, the hardest thing is letting someone help her, to accept their sacrifice on her behalf. But that’s exactly what she’ll have to do in order to save the worlds from Helena’s destruction.

The goddess of Helheimer, long imprisoned by Desi’s father, Loki, is free at last, and she’s bent on reclaiming what once was hers. The nine worlds will be drawn into war, over Hell, over Earth, with innocent humans meaningless collateral. While Michael and the Gardians of Asgard, along with the golden-armored Valkyrie lead the battle for freedom, it’s Desi who holds the destiny of all the worlds in her hands.

Can she set aside her doubts, once and for all, and claim the gifts that are hers to bear? Can she accept the sacrifice that is made for her and Become all that she was created to be?

Her final choice will define not only her future, but the fate of humankind, forever more.


Destined by Ali Cross

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Destined (Desolation, #3)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Ali Cross!)
This is book 3 in the Desolation series.**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for books 1 and 2**
Desi is gone, held prisoner in depths of hell – in fact lower even than hell – chained to the rocks above which Ygdrasyll (hell) was built, with only the genii for company.
It’s up to Michael, the hallowed, and Desi’s friends to rescue her. But a being of light can’t go into hell, and her hell hounds are unable to break the bonds that restrain her. It seems that James must be the one to free her. Can James free Desi? Will they escape from hell unscathed? What of the war that is about to break out?

I found it a bit difficult to get into this instalment; a lot of the beginning was from Michael and then James’ point of view, and I much prefered Desi’s point of view.
There was a lot about the war in this book. It felt like the book was focused more on the war and what was going on than anything else. This was probably to be expected in the last book of a trilogy where there is a war breaking out, I felt exactly the same way about the third book in the hunger games trilogy, but still, war isn’t really my thing and I found it a little difficult to keep up with what was going on.
Once we got back to Desi and Michael things were much better, but I was still a little lost with all the battle talk.

James’ trip to free Desi was interesting, and I was very wary when he promised to return a favour for the ferryman – alarm bells ringing here!
I also liked the part where Desi discovered some things about both herself and her mother, and I liked the way the story ended.

Overall; not my favourite of the series, but still worth reading.
6.5 out of 10.


 

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to give this series a read in the new year :) Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the third cover as much as the previous two. It just doesn't really go. I get what you mean about the hunger games books, I didn't like the third one as much as the previous two either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are enjoying the series, if not this book as much.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it was just okay, I am still interested in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to put this series in my 2-b-read challenge I think??

    ReplyDelete