Friday, 7 December 2012

Blog Tour - Reckoning by Molly M. Hall



Reckoning (Dark Prophecy, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
"They say the truth can set you free. I found out it can kill you."

Seventeen-year-old Kat Matheson has never revealed the dark secret that sets her apart from everyone else: She can see and hear the dead. Until now, she has been able to ignore the strange apparitions and whispering voices. But it may not be that simple anymore. Haunted by eerie visions and increasingly frightening nightmares, Kat begins to fear she may be the target of a dark and ominous force from beyond the grave. Complicating matters is the arrival of her new neighbor, a young man she instinctively distrusts but is inexplicably drawn to. Gorgeous and mysterious, he seems to hold a disturbing knowledge of her long-held secrets.

As she desperately tries to maintain control, events take an unexpected and violent turn. Discovering that nothing is what it seems and that her psychic abilities may involve far more than just communing with the dead, Kat may be forced to confront her worst fears and the powerful curse that controls her destiny.



  Reckoning by Molly M. Hall

My rating: 6.5 out of 10 stars


Reckoning (Dark Prophecy, #1) (Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)

Kat has always been able to see ghosts, but she has never told anyone. She just doesn’t know how to convince someone that she can see something that they can’t.
2 weeks ago a girl in a pink prom dress started twirling around the school fields, and no matter how much Kat ignores her she won’t go away. What is it about this ghst that makes her different? Why is it that Kat can’t look away?

Kat also has a new neighbour to deal with – Lovell. He’s gorgeous, his parents are out of town, and her mother seems to keep pushing them together, but there’s something weird about him that Kat doesn’t like.

Where are his parents? Why does he seem to be watching her?


I enjoyed this book. I liked Kat, she was a good main character, and there was plenty of mystery surrounding Lovell, who was a little strange.


I was a little wary of Rick (the love interest) but Rachel (Kat’s best friend) was another great character, and she played her part well.


I liked the storyline, although I thought that quite a lot of time was devoted to Rick rather than the supernatural aspect of the book. The ‘ghost’ girl was fairly creepy, and there were some other creepy scenes too, but thankfully not too scary!


I thought that the grand finale was done well, although it is obvious that there will be a second book due to the cliff hanger ending! A lot was revealed really late in the book, and so there are a lot of questions still to be answered.

Overall; A good YA paranormal, and I will be interested to see what happens in the sequel!
6.5 out of 10.


 

Interview with the Author -

Molly Hall

 

 

When did you start writing?
           
            I started writing my first story when I was twelve. It was a gothic romance in the
            style of Victoria Holt and Dorothy Daniels (if anyone remembers them!). I still
have it, tucked safely away in a folder, in a locked box, in an undisclosed location.

What was your inspiration for Reckoning?

            I've always been intrigued by the 'darker' side of life - the unknown, the
            unexplained. And, since I was a little girl, I've loved ghost stories and tales
            of witches and fairies and otherworldly beings. My idea for Reckoning was born
            from that. And I thought it would be interesting to take a girl who knows she's
            different but doesn't really know why and lead her on an exciting, and sometimes
harrowing, journey of discovery.

What three words would you use to best describe Reckoning?

            Suspenseful, scary, heartbreaking.

What are your favourite things about the character Kat?

            I love her determination. She is shy and somewhat insecure, but she
always finds the courage to push forward. I also love her loyalty. She doesn't give up on people easily, and, as the story continues, this will really be put to the test.

Is Reckoning a stand alone novel or will this be part of a series?

            Reckoning is the first in a four-part series. Stay tuned!

Can you tell us about your other books?

            In addition to the Dark Prophecy series, I also write an historical detective series.
            The first book in that series will be released in 2013.

Can you tell us what you're working on at the moment?

            I am currently working on the sequel to Reckoning. Titled Relentless it will be
            available in the spring of 2013.

Other than your own, what are your favourite books?

There are so many! But definitely anything by Diana Gabaldon, Jennifer Donnelly, and Cassandra Clare. I also love Alyson Noël, Anna Godbersen,
and Lauren Oliver.

Random Questions:

What's your favourite treat?
           
            I have a thing for salt, so popcorn or chips and dip. I can literally eat massive
            bowls of both, so I have to limit myself.

What's your favourite place to read/write?

            My favorite place to read is tucked into the corner of the couch with a warm
blanket and a cup of tea or glass of wine. For writing, it's my little corner office with a view of the garden.

If you won the lottery what would you most look forward to spending money on?

            First, I would take care of my son's college education. Then, I would love to
            establish a foundation for cats, both domestic and wild, that would help those
            that are homeless, neglected and abused, and/or in danger of extinction.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

            Wow. I don't know if I can honestly answer that as there are so many places that I
            love, as well as so many places I have yet to discover. I also get restless and like a
            change of scenery, so maybe I need a few locations. But I think London or
somewhere in the English countryside would be pretty awesome.
 


Author Bio:

I’ve spent most of my life in Colorado and currently live just outside of Denver. I write my books on a laptop perched atop a rather creaky desk, surrounded by two crazy and loving cats. I love to travel and have visited 27 of the 50 states, as well as Canada, Ireland and England. And there are still a lot of places I want to go.
I spent entirely too many years in the gray dullness of the corporate world, imagining something more exciting as I punched numbers on a keyboard. During that time, I worked on a degree in English Literature, but never quite managed to complete it. Mostly because I was too busy reading and creating fantasy worlds in my head. It’s actually my love of reading and imagining that led me to take up writing full time. I thought I should finally give all the characters in my head a voice.
Music is a huge part of my life and plays a big role in the creation of my books. Although I listen to everything from Johann Sebastian Bach and Dvorak, to Glen Miller and Bobby Darin, to Rihanna and Nox Arcana, as well as movie and video game soundtracks, there are two bands whose music is practically my lifeblood: Daughtry and Linkin Park. I will listen to or see them live anytime, anywhere.
I’m a fan of British television, Doctor Who (favorite doctor? David Tennant. Let the debate begin!), The Vampire Diaries, Japanese animé, Ghost Hunters, MI-5 and Eureka. And anything featuring James McAvoy. And I probably would never be able to unwind without That 70′s Show.
When I’m not reading and writing, you'll probably find me listening to music, practicing yoga, working on my very inadequate French, playing piano, enjoying a lovely glass of red wine or champagne, or looking for inspiring landscapes to photograph.

Contact Links

Twitter - @mollymhallbooks


 

 (US ONLY)

Virtual Book Tour November 10 - December 8


November 10- Reading Addiction Blog Tours - Meet and Greet
November 11- My Reading Addiction - Review
November 13- Books Live Forever - Review
November 15- Mademoiselle Le Sphinx - Review
November 16- Book Nerd - Review
November 17- The Bookshelf - Guest Post/PROMO
November 20- Lizzy's Dark Fiction - Review/Guest Post
November 21- Pink Fluffy Hearts - Review/Guest Post
November 23- Head Stuck in a Book - Review/Guest Post
November 24- A Dream Within a Dream - Review
November 26- Bookish Things and More - Guest Post/PROMO
November 27- My Daily Obsession - Review
November 29- Pretty in Fiction - Interview/PROMO
December 1 - Reading Between the Lines - Review
December 2 - My Cozie Corner - Review
December 3 -Paranormal Goddess - Interview/PROMO
December 3 - The Solitary Bookworm - Review
December 4 - The Hollow Cupboards - Review/Guest Post
December 4 - Bilbliophilia, Please - Review/Guest Post
December 5 -Paulettes Papers - Guest Post/PROMO
December 5 - The Cozy Dragon - Review
December 6 - Gothic Angel Book Reviews - Review/Guest Post
December 6 - Lovely Reads - Review/Interview
December 7 - Sarah Elizabeth's Bookshelf  - Review/Interview
December 7 - Compelled By Words - Review/Guest Post
December 8 -Crossroads Reviews -Review
December 8 - Firestar Books - Review/Interview
 

4 comments:

  1. I'm kind of curious about this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to know what happens next!

      Delete
  2. Sounds pretty good to me. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pooh missed the giveaway! But that cover it should go far. Always love your interviews!

    ReplyDelete