Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Become by Ali Cross



Become (Desolation, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Sixteen-year old Desolation Black wants nothing more than to stay in Hell where it’s cold and lonely and totally predictable. Instead, she’s sent back to Earth where she must face the evil she despises and the good she always feared.

When Desi is forced to embrace her inner demon, she assumes her choice has been made—that she has no hope of being anything other than what her father, Lucifer, has created her to be. What she doesn’t count on, is finding a reason to change—something she’s never had before—a friend.


Become by Ali Cross

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Become (Desolation, #1)(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)
Desolation Black looks like a typical teenager, but she’s anything but. Not only is she much older than the 16-years she looks, her father is Lucifer, and he’s waiting for her to ‘Become’ – to turn into a demon, and accept her heritage.

Desi has other ideas though, she does what her father asks to some extent, but also tries to rebel whenever she can.

Now, Lucifer has sent Desi back to Earth. She’s been in hell for the last 8 months, and as she goes back to Earth she remembers everything that happened to her the last time she was there, and it isn’t pretty.

Desi is not just her father’s daughter though, her mother was a Gardian – a type of angel, and as well as the frigid cold of Hell which exists inside her, there is also a spark of warmth.

Desi knows that this spark comes from her mother, but thinks that she no option to be anything other than like her father. When she meets Michael though, and his spark warms her, she wonders if she may have another choice after all.


I really enjoyed this book! I found it a little difficult to get into initially, but by the half-way mark - wow!

Firstly; Desolation Black – what a cool name! Love it! Desi was a great character, I loved how she tried to embrace what she thought was her destiny, even when it wasn’t really what she wanted, and I loved how underneath it all she had such a good heart. Even when it meant disobeying her father’s orders, she did what she felt was right, and knew she’d deal with the consequences later.
I loved the way she travelled light, and only kept what was important to her, and I could understand why having to remember everything she’d previously done was daunting for her.

I loved Michael. He totally gave me tingles, and I really didn’t see how Desi thought she could stay away from him! He was just so lovely, and even though there wasn’t a lot of romance in this book, the romance between Desi and Michael was beautiful, and you could tell that their feelings for one another were more than simple lust or need.

The storyline was quite complex in places, I did get a little confused at times. There was a lot of things going on with Lucifer, Michael etc, and also a lot of history for Desi to remember, as well as new events and their meanings. Funnily enough though, even though I got a bit confused, I carried on reading, and things seemed to all come together at the end, although the ending was definitely left open for the next book, which I am looking forward to!

Overall; a fab paranormal read! Looking forward to the next in the series – Desolation!
8 out of 10.


   
 

4 comments:

  1. I love when the free ones are good. I have this one too. I must read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait...it's free? Hang on, I've GOT to go download it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my 2-be-read list.... moving to what was I thinking for not reading list!

    =) thanks for the heads up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sarah Elizabeth! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete