Sunday, 16 December 2012

All For You (The Nephilim #1) (ARC) by Dana Marie Bell



All For You (The Nephilim, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
He will keep her safe, no matter what it takes.

Someone—or something—is stalking Abby Marcheson. Luckily, she as her brother’s hunky friend Seth to keep her safe. Abby falls easily into her protected life, with Seth constantly by her side, and when he asks her out on a date, she’s eager to accept.

But Seth is much more than he seems. A Nephilim, a son of Angels with wings of his own, Seth is bound to spend his life hunting the Shemyaza, evil descendants of Angels. He’s kept his wings hidden from Abby in order not to frighten her, but as her stalker becomes bolder, Seth begins to suspect that a Shem has Abby in its sights…

As their flirtation escalates into full-blown passion, Seth is torn. Should he reveal his true nature to the beautiful, trusting Abby? Will she accept him, wings and all, or will Abby flee her guardian angel and fall prey to the sinister force that wishes her harm?

Warning: This book contains explicit sex and graphic language.


All For You by Dana Marie Bell

My rating: 5 out of 10 stars


All For You (The Nephilim, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Carina Press and Netgalley.)
Seth is a nephilim - a descendent of angels, and has his very own wings. Seth's job is to protect humans from the Shem - evil descendents of angels.

Living across the road from Seth is Abby, his friend Bill's little sister, and Seth has promised to look out for her.

When Abby's ex-boyfriend Doug (who tried to kill her) is found to have escaped from prison, and Abbey's house is broken into, Seth takes his duties protecting Abby even more seriously, and he takes her to stay with his parents.

Seth and Abby's feelings are not purely platonic though, and their developing relationship is causing Doug to esculate his attacks on Abby.

Can Seth keep Abby safe? Can Doug be stopped before it's too late? And what will Abby say when she realises that Seth is not 100% human?


This book really didn't do it for me. I thought that the blurb sounded really interesting, but the actual book was just a bit of a let-down.
The writing just felt awkward to me, and while this usually abates as the story gets going, this time it just didn't, and continued to feel awkward all the way through.
The sex scenes were okay, but again, felt awkward, and instead of enjoying the intimate moments I found myself cringing.

The actual stuff about the nephilim and Shem wasn't all that interesting - it felt like a school history lesson or something, and when Seth thought that the Shem might be after Abby, he admitted that he had absolutely no idea why, which kind of made the suspicion a bit unfounded.

The characters themselves were all okay, but I didn't fall in love with them, and I felt like I was having to force myself to keep reading to the end.
I had hoped that the romance parts of the book would make up for the poor storyline otherwise, but unfortunately that didn't happen, and I didn't really like the romance parts of the book either.

I sure some people would enjoy this but it really wasn't for me. Maybe if you just wanted to read the sex scenes without the storyline it wouldn't be as bad, but I couldn't recommend this as a good paranormal romance.
Overall; awkward and uninspiring.
5 out of 10.


All for you will be released on December 24th 2012.

8 comments:

  1. I'll definitely give this one a miss. I usually don't really read books with graphic sex scenes anyway because I find that the author mostly concentrates on the sex scenes and/or getting as many sex scenes as possible in the book. This sounds like one of those.

    Thanks for the review =)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree somewhat with you Heather C. Lots of authors do that but when it works with the storyline it doesn't bother me as much.

    I used to never read boks with any type of graphic sex until I ran across JR Ward's- Black Dagger Brotherhood Series and other books such as Dakota Cassidy's- Accidentally Series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, that's too bad. I agree, the blurb sounded good but if the writing sucks then there is nothing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn. The blurb sounds good and the cover art is pretty, but I'm reading a book right now that reads like this. Awkward and hard to concentrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover was the best thing about it unfortunately.

      Delete
  5. I love books about angels and/or nephilim. This is a beautiful cover and sometimes I have a bad habit of reading books because of the beautiful book covers! Glad you shared your honest review of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I was swayed by the cover on this one too!

      Delete
  6. Dana Marie Bell’s books have been my guilty pleasure reads for a while now. The paranormal worlds she creates in her stories are the places we all know and love, turned just slightly on their ear to make them uniquely her own. From puma shifters in Pennsylvania, Leprechauns in Oklahoma, or now Angels in Delaware, each time I pick up one of her stories I know I’m going to have a good time reading.

    regards,
    russel of Moose Hunting in Alaska

    ReplyDelete