Monday, 26 November 2012

Unmaking Hunter Kennedy by Anne Eliot


Unmaking Hunter Kennedy
Blurb (from Goodreads):
After a car accident--an event he considers a prank gone bad--pop star, Hunter Kennedy is forced to hide out with his aunt in small-town Colorado. He’s supposed to rest, heal his scars and attend high school in disguise until the press dies down. But he only wants to get back to work.

Worse, the girl who’s been assigned to make him over into a geek is a major geek herself. Vere Roth is a chattering pixie, a blushing tornado and a complete social disaster. He’s never met a girl who’s never-been-kissed, believes in romance and thinks Hunter’s a 'nice' guy.

Funny thing is...Hunter is nice around Vere because she’s his first real friend. He also can’t seem to stop sharing his secrets or keep her out of his heart. Knowing he’d never deserve a girl as sweet as Vere, he resigns himself to the friend zone, and helps his new bestie with her own makeover.

She tortures him daily for ridiculous guy advice on how to snag her life-long crush. A guy Hunter thinks is totally wrong for Vere, and sadly, one who has taken note of Vere’s transformation.

When Vere asks her best friend for some kissing advice, Hunter can’t resist...

And that’s when things get out of control...

High School Romance, first love, sweet romance.


Unmaking Hunter Kennedy by Anne Eliot

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Unmaking Hunter Kennedy(Source: I borrowed a copy of this book using the kindle prime lending library.)
Hunter Kennedy is in rehab. Even though he’s only 17, he’s been in the public spotlight for years, and is the lead singer of his band ‘Guardrobe’. Hunter has been depressed through, and after a suicide attempt has ended up in a fancy hospital for treatment.

Now he’s being discharged, but he’s not going home. His mother has come up with a random plan to try and aid his recovery – she’s going to disguise him and send him to live with his great aunt in the middle of nowhere.

Strangely enough Hunter goes along with the plan, and even gets into the role – making himself Dustin McHugh. What he wasn’t expecting though was to develop feelings for little Vere Roth - a girl who blushes at everything, and gets so tongue tied around boys that she can’t speak, act, or think.

Can ‘Dustin’ and Vere have any kind of a future though? Especially when Vere has a crush on someone else? Can Hunter recover from his depression? And can he ever forgive his mother for what she’s done to him?


I wanted to like this book, I did like this book, but there were just so many little niggles, and things that made me cringe that I just couldn’t give it more than 3 stars. Here it goes:
1 – Who describes a hair bun as ‘incredible’ or ‘magnificent’? I mean it’s a pretty old-fashioned way to put your hair up, and a lot of people might also make fun of it even. Tidy – yes, neat – yes, practical – yes, incredible – no. I just don’t see it.

2 – You’re a rock star, someone has been hired to impersonate you for a year, and they are an idiot. Do you just nod and go along with it? Not sure about this either. I expected Hunter to put up a bit more of a fuss, especially with him being the lead singer and song writer for the band.

3 – I’m really not sure what Hunter saw in Vere. She was a bit of a geek. She always dressed in ridiculous clothes. She thought that water and peaches were the best things in the world. She was just so immature, and while Hunter was going on about how sweet he thought she was, and how much he liked her, I was just thinking ‘what?’ I really didn’t see the attraction at all.

4 – Who has had a high school crush on the football quarterback, who was raised like your brother, and had him suddenly return the feelings? This was just a joke. Little Vere who dresses in her father’s cast-off clothes, couldn’t speak to a boy without blushing, babbling, or injuring him, suddenly has the quarterback and a rock star having crushes on her? I was waiting for her to wake up and for this to have all been a dream. As nice of an idea as this was, I just felt that it was unrealistic, and as I was reading it I was just shaking my head – no.

This book was saved by the first kiss scene between Hunter and Vere. I’m not going to say too much about the circumstances ‘cause I don’t want to spoil it, but the first kiss was pretty amazing, even if the following conversation wasn’t! Boy was it worth reading through all those slightly cringe-worthy moments for! I have got to give it to Anne Eliot here – fantastic first kiss!

The other love interest in this book (the high school quarterback) – Curtis is just a bit of a pig if you ask me. He was just a bit weird, and I really didn’t like him.

Overall; an okay YA romance, saved by a fantastic first kiss.
6.5 out of 10.




4 comments:

  1. Eek. magnificent hair buns!!! Bwahhaha. Not sure this book would be for me. The annoyances you mention would definitely make me cringe! Sounds pretty cute regardless, though. Glad it wasn't a complete fail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking forward to your review of this but it sounds more annoying than enjoyable. One to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh jeeze, now I am scared. I am reading this one for the blog tour. I thought the summary sounded so cute. Grrr, I hate when they don't turn out well.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete