Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Evie's always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours.

But Evie's about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.




Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

My rating: 4.25 of 5 stars


Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Evie is special. She’s the only person in the whole world who can see through paranormals glamours, and because of that she’s very valuable to a lot of people.
Since she was 8 and her talent was discovered, she’s been working for the IPCA (International Paranormal Containment Agreement), tagging and bagging vamps, werewolves etc. to keep humans safe. She also lived at their headquarters all that time too, and has never been allowed to go to a proper school.

One day a boy breaks into the facility, a boy who is unlike any paranormal she has ever seen before. Lend can change his glamour to look like anybody, but Evie isn’t fooled and helps to capture him. As she gets to know him she begins to develop feelings for him, and realises that he knows something about some recent paranormal deaths, and that they should be working together rather than keeping him imprisoned.

Evie has no shortage of problems to deal with though with Reth – a fairy, who seems to want her heart for some reason, as well as dealing with the supernatural killer, her homework, and Lend. So when the paranormal killer gets into the facility, and comes after the people who are like Evie’s family, she makes a run for it.
Can she work out what exactly the killer is? Can she do something to stop them? And can she stay away from Reth before he does her serious harm?


I’ve waited ages to read this book so I was so excited that I finally got to read it! Usually when I have such high expectations of a book I end up disappointed, but I’m happy to say that that totally didn’t happen with this book! I knew I would love this right from the very first page!

Evie was such a great character. She was so sweet and strong, she didn’t like doing homework and always rushed to watch her favourite tv show. She really cared about the people that she spent her life with, even when there was a possibility that they had betrayed her, and she also cared about what was right, without being a martyr or being perfect herself. She was just such a lovely character, and totally the sort of person you would want to be friends with, and I really liked her.

The storyline was great. It wasn’t your average paranormal book, this wasn’t all about vampires or werewolves, this was something pretty different, and I liked it. There was action and excitement, and plenty of mystery too, and I loved how I never knew what was coming next!

The romance storyline was only part of the story, it wasn’t the central theme, but it was good still, without taking over the whole book. Lend was an interesting character, and it was obvious that Evie really liked him, but I have to say that I very strangely actually liked the bad guy Reth though. At times I was just thinking – ‘you know, you could do worse than Reth…’ hmm, maybe I just have a thing for bad boys….? Anyway, Lend was a good choice for Evie, even if I might have picked Reth…

I was pleased with the ending of this book, although it did leave a few questions unanswered, so I’m glad that I have the next two books available to read now!
Overall; a great paranormal YA, which isn’t your average vampire story.
8.5 out of 10.


   

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, I want this book!! I've heard so many good things about it.

    It's good to know that the romance is only part of the story as I don't really like romance books.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHoo. I high rating. I haven't heard of this book before but now it is on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard so much about this book! It is one I want to read but haven't because it's been compared to one of M. Brothers books. They were enjoyable but were written for the Juvenile section of the library but hit hard with actual young adults in the YA world.

    Now I'm gonna give it a read.... THANKS!

    ReplyDelete