Sunday, 7 October 2012

Ashes by Ilsa J Bick

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Ashes (Ashes Trilogy #1)
No, she thought. No, please, God, I'm not seeing this

Seventeen-year-old Alex is hiking through the wilderness when it happens: an earth-shattering electromagnetic pulse that destroys almost everything.

Survivors are divided between those who have developed a superhuman sense and those who have aquired a taste for human flesh. These flesh-hunters stalk the land: hungry, ruthless and increasingly clever...

Alex meets Tom, a younge army veteran, and Ellie, a lost girl. They will fight together and be torn apart, but Alex must face the most difficult question of all:
In such a vastly changed world, who can you trust?

A srtory of high-wire tension, gut-wrenching twist, and burgeoning love, Ashes will leave you breathless.





Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

 My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Ashes (Ashes Trilogy #1)(Source: I purchased a copy of this book on Kindle.)
17-year-old Alex has a monster in her head. A malignant tumour that isn’t responding to chemo, radiotherapy, or the new PEBBLES treatment.
Deciding that enough is enough, Alex has taken her parents ashes, cut school, and driven to Michigan, intending to do some hiking on the Waucamaw, and to scatter her parents ashes on lake Superior. She’s had enough of the treatments, and she’s decided to just make the most of the time she has left.
An electromagnetic pulse changes everything though. People drop dead, other people become wild and start attacking people and eating them, and nothing electronic will work.
Forming a friendship with an 8-year-old girl (Ellie) stranded in the same place, and an ex-army man Tom who rescues them from a cannibal. Together the three must try to survive in the wilderness, and eventually try to find their way back to civilisation.
What chance do the three on them stand though, with not only cannibals out there but mercenary’s trying to rob them.

Wow! This book was just awesome! There was mystery, suspense, horror, and even a touch of romance. At times I was angry, shocked, disgusted, screaming at my kindle, and loving every minute of it!
I loved Alex who always tried to make the best of her limited resources, and took time to care for a lost little girl, even when it meant rising her own life. I loved Tom and Ellie and the storyline was just explosive. So many ups and downs, and just when things are looking up, something else awful happens!

I’m loving dystopian books this year, and this is definitely one of the best. Ashes is better than ‘the hunger games’, and totally a 5 star book. I can’t even begin to explain how much this book gripped me, and how totally suckered in I was! I’m so happy that the sequel ‘Shadows’ is already out so that I can jump straight into it, but I’m already not looking forward to the wait for book 3! I can’t wait to find out what will happen to Alex, Ellie, Tom, and all the other characters.
This whole book was a total rollercoaster ride, and I just loved the storyline. If you like dystopians you’re gonna want to get a copy of this, and fast!
9.5 out of 10.




   


 Ashes (Ashes Trilogy #1)Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1)Brennendes Herz (Ashes, #1)Ashes (Ashes Trilogy #1)Cenizas (Ashes Trilogy, #1)

6 comments:

  1. OK. You totally convinced me to buy this book. I saw Ashes (the one with the fourth as the cover) at a bookstore last week and was really tempted to buy it but I didn't. Now I totally will. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better than the Hunger Games. Surely that's possible.....
    I have to read this book then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing some great things about this one! But if the past is any indicator, dystopian and I just aren't meant to be. (I know, I know, don't hate me!) Still, I might check this one out just because I like the premise! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I'm so glad you loved Ashes!! It's one of my favorites, as well! Can't wait to read the next in the series <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this from the library and I can't wait to start it! Great review! Double psyched now!
    <3 Inky@ Book Haven Extraordinaire

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, I did also and can't wait to get stuck into Shadows. Can't wait to read your review on that one. :)

    ReplyDelete