Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Noctalisby Chelsea Cameron - Blog Tour!




Nocturnal (The Noctalis Chronicles, #1) Blurb (from Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Ava-Claire Sullivan isn't one for doing the expected. Especially when she finds out her mother's cancer is terminal. After a crying session in the local cemetery where she's attacked by one strange guy and saved by another, she doesn't call the cops. Because those guys definitely weren't your average hooligans.

And the one who sort-of saved her? Well, he's odd. He doesn't seem to breathe or smile or have anything better to do than wait in the cemetery for Ava to come back. Which she does. Call it morbid curiosity. Even after he warns her that he's dangerous, she can't stop wanting to see him, talk to him, be with him.

There's something about Peter that provides a much-needed escape from her mother's diagnosis and her tenuous relationship with her father. Even her best friends Jamie and Texas don't know what it's like to face death. But Peter does. He already has. He also made a promise a long time ago that could destroy both of them.

When everything in your life is falling apart, what are you willing to give up to hold onto the one thing that could last forever?




Nocturnal by Chelsea M. Cameron

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Nocturnal (The Noctalis Chronicles, #1)(I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis, as part of the Noctalis blog tour. Thanks to Chelsea Cameron a supagurlbooks.)
17-year-old Ava-Claire has just got the worst news of her life. Her mother is going to die, and soon. If she’s lucky she’ll have 6 months, and then she’ll be gone.
Reeling from the news, Ava takes a midnight drive to a place of peace and solitude; the graveyard. What she doesn’t expect is to find an open mausoleum, and two strange men, one of whom seems to want to kill her! When she wakes in her car she’s confused, but knows that the reason she is alive is because the other man saved her.

Ava finds it hard to talk about certain things, she can’t even tell her best friend Tex that her mother is dying, but for some reason she feels like she can maybe talk to the boy who saved her (Peter), and she begins visiting the cemetery, just to see if he is there. He is there, he’s always there, and they begin to talk, until one day he tells her his secret – he is a ‘Noctalis’.

What’s a Noctalis? What does that mean? Well, he’s immortal, he’s dead, he lives on human blood, he has wings(!), and he doesn’t really have a home. Ava absorbs this, but again it’s something that she feels she can’t tell her best friend – make that two things that she’s hiding now.

Peter’s entrance into Ava’s life isn’t stress-free either. The other man at the graveyard who tried to kill her is his brother, and Peter must try and find a way to keep Ava safe from him. What will this mean for Ava though? And just how long does she think she can keep this a secret?


I have to say that I enjoyed this book, as soon as I started reading it was just one of those books that made me not want to turn the light off and go to sleep!

I really felt for Ava right from the beginning. Having to come to terms with losing your mom when you’re only 17? Awful! I also felt really bad for her that she wasn’t able to confide in her friends, as a friend was really what she needed.
I hated the way her dad behaved towards her too; ‘don’t upset your mother’, ‘somebody will have to do more work around the house’, ‘no, you can’t see her’. He was so horrible to her! He behaved as if she was going out of her way to make her mother’s life worse, which was so not the case! I don’t know how Ava will cope with her dad once her mother is gone, but I don’t see things going smoothly.

Peter was a bit confusing to me; he’s has wings – but he’s not an angel, he drinks blood – but he’s not a vampire, he’s an immortal – but there is a way for Ava to kill him. (You can see where I’m getting confused.) I’m also not sure why he isn’t a vampire; it seems that he’s not a vampire in name only?
Anyway, ignoring the whole ‘Noctalis’ thing, Peter does seem to have genuine feelings for Ava, and more than anything wants to keep her safe – especially from his brother Ivan. It isn’t instant attraction when they meet, he just doesn’t want his brother to kill her, although their feelings grow as they spend time together. (This has its own problems, but I won’t tell you cause I don’t want to spoil the story!).

I like Ava’s friends, but I really think she needed to spend more time with Jamie (whose sister is a problem), and maybe sit down and have a heart-to-heart with Tex, and explain that she doesn’t want her to tell everyone about the things she tells her. I think all three of them could have been better friends to each other.

I liked the storyline in this book, although as I mentioned I did have some questions regarding the whole ‘Noctalis’ business. It will be interesting to see how the story develops in the next book, and how Ava will cope with her mother’s death.
7 out of 10.
(Book Length: 3581 kindle locations)



Nightmare (The Noctalis Chronicles, #2)Blurb (from Goodreads):
Ava-Claire Sullivan's first mistake was becoming vampire Peter Mackintire's personal blood bank. Her second mistake was falling in love with him.

Now it's Ava's job to make sure he never loves her in return. A pact Peter made nearly a hundred years ago means loving someone will kill him. If she can figure out how to free him from his promise, it might kill her, make her immortal, or lead to the love she wants so badly.

But if she doesn't, at best, her heart will break…and at worst, Peter will die.













Nightmare by Chelsea M. Cameron

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Nightmare (The Noctalis Chronicles, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis as part of the ‘Noctalis’ Blog Tour! Thanks to Supagurl books and Chelsea Cameron.)
This is the second book in the ‘Noctalis’ series, and kicks off 1 week after the end of book 1 – ‘Nocturnal’.
Nightmare opens with Ava telling her Mom exactly what Peter is, which makes her mother tired, which later turns into a fainting spell. Ava is obviously upset as she feels that she has made her mother feel worse.
Things between Ava and Peter are still complicated in this book – Peter has previously made a promise to his maker that impacts on their relationship significantly – That he will never love anyone more than he loves her! This obviously imparts limits on both their physical and emotional relationship.
Thankfully though Peter is there for her when it comes to supporting her through her mother’s illness, which is something that she desperately needs, especially with her problems talking to her friends.

Peter’s brother Ivan is still a major problem in this second book. It is revealed exactly why Ivan is so hell-bent on taking Ava from Peter, and the risk posed to Ava is still very real in this respect.

How can Peter break the bind with his ‘mother’? How will Ava and Peter live with this ‘claiming’? When will Peter’s brother be back to try and kill Ava again? Can Ava convince Peter that he should turn her into a Noctalis?

I enjoyed this book. Just like the first I really didn’t want to put it down at times! Peter and Ava’s relationship moves along a bit in this book, and Peter is a total sweetheart. It’s nice to hear Ava and Peter voice their feeling for one another, even when Peter cannot use the ‘L’ word.

I am extremely worried about the promise Peter made to the woman that made him a noctalis (His ‘mother’) - that he will never love anyone more than he loves her. I just don’t see how he can keep this promise, and keep himself from falling for Ava. He says he wants to keep her safe, and that he adores her rather than loves her, but it’s obvious that he is falling for her which is extremely dangerous.

Ava is also upset by the urges and images that she keeps getting as a side effect of Peter’s claiming, which wasn’t something that she was expecting.
The ending left us on a bit of a cliffhanger and I can’t wait to find out what happens next!

Overall; a great second instalment, bring on book 3!
7 out of 10.

Interview with the Author-

Chelsea Cameron


Chelsea M. Cameron



When did you start writing?
I hated writing when I was a kid, and to this day I don't really know why. I always loved books, though and I had teachers that encouraged my writing. I went to college and studied journalism because I knew I could write and it sounded more respectable than English. I thought I'd be a librarian, or maybe work for a newspaper. Then I read the sparkly vampire book that shall not be named ;) I don't know what it was, but that book broke something in me. I'd been writing a little bit before that, but then I started and couldn't stop. That was in 2009, and I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon. This is what I want to do.
What was your inspiration for the  Noctalis series?
It sounds so dumb, but I was watching tv and an add for Desperate Housewives came on where a character plucked a red apple from a tree. That triggered an image of this guy with really dark hair, and that was my first image of Peter. The rest of the story came later. It was actually years after I had the idea to write it, because I knew the "vampire" market was saturated. Then I heard about indie publishing and figured why not? The rest of the story came after I made that decision.
What three words would you use to best describe the Noctalis series?
Dark, quirky, romantic.
What are your favourite things about Ava and Peter?

I love that Ava speaks her mind, even to an immortal. She also loves fiercely, and would do anything for those she loves. She doesn't sit around, either. She goes out and does things. Peter... Oh, what can I say about him? He's emotionally detached when he first meets her, but she gradually makes him more human. I love how much he cares about her, and how he shows it. He's also easy on the eyes
How do you think you would react if you found out that your other half was actually an immortal/Noctalis?
I'd freak out. I'd probably think I was having a mental breakdown. Or I'd run away. When it comes to fight or flight, I choose the second.
Do you already know how Ava and Peter’s story will end, or will it come to you as you write it?
I have an idea, but I don't outline. I let the story happen. I've tried outlining, but it doesn't produce good stories, for me. All the twists and turns in my stories are completely a shock to me as much as the reader. I think that leads to them being more authentic. It will be a happy ending. It's the getting there that is the fun part.
When can we expect the next instalment ‘Neither’?
Action. Twists. New characters that throw things out of whack. Lots of emotional moments. Be prepared with tissues. 
Other than your own, what are your favourite books?
How do I answer that? I could go on for days. I'll just name a few. Harry Potter (duh), The Book Thief, Dearly, Departed, Monsters of Men, Kushiel's Mercy, The Hunger Games, Pride and Prejudice, Great Expectations... Okay, I'll stop there.
Random Questions –
What’s your favourite treat?
Right now, I'm addicted to frozen Greek vanilla yogurt. I cover it with slivered almonds. YUM.
What is your Favourite place to read/write?
I write on the couch. Someday when I get my own place, I'll have a recliner. I also read on the same couch, or in bed, but I can read anywhere. Dr.'s office, waiting in line, coffee shop, in the middle of a hurricane. As long as it's a good book.
If you won the lottery what would you most look forward to spending money on?
Probably a house. I'm 25 and still living at home (pesky student loan debt), so that would be first on the list. Second would be paying off my parent's mortgage and fixing up their house. After that? I'd get myself out of debt and secure financially. And then I would buy a complete Victorian wardrobe, an iPad and MORE BOOKS.
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
ENGLAND! Not that the US isn't awesome, but I've always had a love affair with England. There's so much beautiful land. I'd like to live down the street from Jane Austen's house, if that's possible.
 

Thanks so much to Chelsea for stopping by the blog!

About Chelsea:

Chelsea M. Cameron is a YA writer from Maine. Lover of things random and ridiculous, Jane Austen/Charlotte and Emily Bronte Fangirl, red velvet cake enthusiast, obsessive tea drinker, vegetarian, former cheerleader and world's worst video gamer. When not writing, she enjoys watching infomercials, singing in the car and tweeting. She has a degree in journalism from the University of Maine, Orono that she promptly abandoned to write about the people in her own head. More often than not, these people turn out to be just as weird as she is.

She has two books out now, Nocturnal and Nightmare, the first and second books in the Noctalis Chronicles about a girl with a dying mother who meets an immortal boy. The third book, Numb will be out this August, and the fourth in the winter. Her other book, Whisper, about a girl who is alive, a boy who isn't and the complications that go along with their relationship, released June 16 and is the first in a trilogy. Follow her on Twitter: @chel_c_cam, her blog, or on Facebook.


Twitter: @chel_c_cam





Have you found your special scavenger hunt word? It's pink!

Got it?

Click on the tour banner below to go to the scavenger hunt page and enter to win!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment