Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Pushing the Limits (ARC) by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits 
Blurb (from Goodreads):
"I won't tell anyone, Echo. I promise." Noah tucked a curl behind my ear. It had been so long since someone touched me like he did. Why did it have to be Noah Hutchins? His dark brown eyes shifted to my covered arms. "You didn't do that-did you? It was done to you?" No one ever asked that question. They stared. They whispered. They laughed. But they never asked.

So wrong for each other...and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

"An edgy romance that pulls you in and never lets go. I was hooked!"-Gena Showalter,  New York Times bestselling author of the Intertwined series.




  Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Pushing the Limits(I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin Teen and Netgalley.)
Echo and Noah are both 17, and both messed up, just in very different ways.

Echo has scars on her arms, and a big hole in her memory from the night her mother tried to kill her. She’s lost her best friend and her boyfriend, and no matter what she does she is never able to please her control-freak father. She’s also trying to come to terms with her older brother’s death (he was a marine), and her step-mother’s pregnancy.

Noah is in foster care after his parent’s died in a house fire two years ago. He’s not doing as well as he used to at school, and his main priority is turning 18 so that he can petition for custody of his two younger brothers who are also in foster care.

Echo and Noah meet due to the schools therapist/ social worker Mrs Collins, who wants Echo to tutor Noah. It’s not a match made in heaven when they first meet, but as they begin to spend time together, they begin to fall for each other. The question is whether they can stay together, when life just seems to be getting in the way. Things don’t run smoothly for Noah and Echo, and they’re about to go on a rollercoaster journey before they graduate high school.


I liked this book, it’s not your average YA romance novel, and there were several storylines all going on and intermingling throughout.

I liked Echo, although her main problem was that she allowed other people to influence her life too much. She always did what she thought was expected of her; hiding her scars, applying to business school, retaking exams etc.
She missed her brother Aires dearly, but felt like no-one else felt the same way. Aires was the one person who she felt really loved her and was on her side, and with him gone, Echo really felt that no-one loved her - her father just tried to control her, her stepmother wanted to get rid of her, and her own mother tried to kill her!
Echo really needs someone to support her, and Noah is there for her when she most needs him.

Noah has ambitions but doesn’t seem to have a real idea of how he’s going to achieve them. He wants custody of his brothers, but he can’t provide them with the same sort of life as they are getting from their foster parents, he wants Echo, but does he really think that her vision of the future includes raising two little boys? His friends are also a little unsavoury at times; especially beth who is constantly high and generally nasty to Echo.

I think my least favourite character was Echo’s mum. Even ignoring the fact that she had tried to kill Echo, she was just generally an extremely selfish and unloving person (read the book and you’ll know what I mean).

I liked how the storyline had a certain amount of mystery all the way through, and how it wasn’t obvious what was coming next. It looks like we will be getting a second instalment soon too focusing on Beth’s story!
Overall; not your average teen romance!
7 out of 10.

'Pushing the Limits' is released on July 31st in the US, and on August 3rd in the UK!




5 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty good to me. I am going to read this one tomorrow. I like the idea that it will keep me on my toes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this book last night, I couldn't put it down. It completely had me wanting to know if Echo and Noah would figure things out, it was a bit frustrating that it seemed like their lack of communication was their biggest issue... amongst the other REAL big issues. Thanks for sharing your review. I had to come check out your blog today to see if you had a review for this book, it's always cool to compare my thoughts with someone elses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I forgot to add that I really did like this book...overall

      Delete
    2. I do that too! I liked this but I can't decide if I want to read the next one or not. At the moment I've been good and not requested it because my to-read pile is so big!
      Thanks for stopping by ☺

      Delete
    3. I decided to read the second one because it's about Beth. She was a character that I wanted to know more about!
      My TBR list is OUT OF CONTROL so I feel your pain, I just can't seem to stop myself though. It will probably get worse though because this year looks to be an amazing year for book releases! So happy and yet ugh!
      BTW, I really like your review and blog site! Great job!

      Delete