Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Loving Summer by Kailin Gow


Loving Summer


Blurb:


Loving Summer by Kailin Gow is a YA Contemporary Romance with an edge - Releases May 28

After not having seen childhood family friends, Rachel and her brothers Nathaniel and Drew in three years, sixteen year old Summer Jones, who has always spent her summers with the Donovans at her Aunt Sookie's Malibu beach house, discovers there is more to her long-time crush on one of the Donovan brothers this summer than meets the eye, especially when Astor Fairway, the handsome television star taking her aunt's acting coaching sessions, notices her. This summer, the summer she is noticed, would be the summer no one could forget.





Loving Summer by Kailin Gow

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Loving Summer(I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis as part of the ‘Loving Summer’ blog tour)
Summer, Rachel, and her two brothers Drew, and Nat were friends when they were younger, but Summer hasn’t seen them three years. This summer they’re meeting up at Summer’s aunt’s beach house for some fun and sun.
They’ve each done a lot of growing up since they last saw each other, Rachel dresses like a goth, Nat and Drew are both much taller and good-looking, and Summer has turned into a real beauty.
From the moment Drew sees the new Summer he is hooked, and wants to leave his days of one night stands behind him, but Summer only has eyes for Nat, and thinks that Drew is a bit of a user.

It seems that everyone has eyes for Summer this summer though, as she catches the attention of Astor Fairway – a movie star. As she starts dating Astor though, both Nat and Drew are unhappy. Nat breaks up with his girlfriend and tells Summer that he can’t stop thinking about her, and Drew makes it clear that he wants to be more than friends.

With three different guys after her, Summer really needs to make up her mind about exactly which one of them she wants, before everyone ends up getting hurt.

This book was a light read, and felt a little awkward in the beginning. This did get better the further I got into the book, although I still had problems really ‘getting’ the characters.

I have to say that out of all the characters I connected most with Drew. As soon as I got to the chapters which were from his point of view I felt like I was reading a different book. It was a bit of a love at first sight thing once he saw Summer’s new look, but he did seem earnest about it, although I was surprised when he said that he’d risk his football career for her. Drew just seemed the most real to me though, so I was secretly rooting for him to win over Summer.

Astor is deadly serious about Summer, but it happens so quickly that I didn’t really trust him, and wondered what he was up to!
Nat seemed to genuinely like Summer, but I didn’t really hear enough from him to really form an attachment. To be honest I just felt that he was messing Summer around a bit, although I suppose some of his arguments for not being with her were valid.

My biggest disappointment with this book was the non-ending though. I understand that when a book is part of a series, there has to be something to make you want to read the next book, but I felt like this instalment ended very suddenly, and with no decisions made as to which of the three boys Summer was really interested in! Looks like we will have to wait til February 2013 to find out what will happen next!
6 out of 10.
(Book length: 2644 kindle locations)

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment